Alpha Black Paintball
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Not the best reffing experience today...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
project salvo pro
Pump
Pump
project salvo pro

Not the best reffing experience today... Empty
PostSubject: Not the best reffing experience today...   Not the best reffing experience today... EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 2:08 am

Today I reffed at 'Wanna Play Paintball' and I didn't exactly have the best time...
Two of my local fields had expressed interest in hiring me as a referee. I more commonly play at 'SkiRoundtop Paintball' but decided to try refing at 'Wanna Play' first because it had seemed that they were more in need of a referees. On Friday I called their pro shop and talked to Kyle, the very nice guy who is always working the 'Wanna Play Pro Shop'. He recognized my name and remembered me from purchasing things from the shop. I told him that I would be there the next day(Saturday) to sign up to ref and then we talked for a little about the new loader coming out from Virtue, the Spire. Today(Saturday) I arrived at the Pro Shop to sign up and then head up to the field to start reffing at 9:59AM. Kyle gave me the papers and I read through them. Mainly what they said is follow the rules and then it explained the payment. First off I had to work for six full days before I started getting payed. When I did start getting payed it would be three dollars an hour pro shop credit until I have my drivers license. When I get my license(in about a year) I will be payed five dollars store credit. I got up to the field and was told that I was going to be shadowing the lead referee, Ben. The refs Ben, Earl and one other(who's name escapes me) were very friendly and welcoming. I felt unwanted by all the other refs. It led me to feel very uncomfortable around them.
The combination of feeling unwelcome and having low pay that only comes in the form of store credit is making me want to not be a referee there. Don't get me wrong, I loved being able to get on the field and give some advice to some newer players and give back to the paintball community, but I just didn't have a good experience today.
Tomorrow I going to 'SkiRoundtop Paintball' to see if their still looking for referee's and I also happen to know that their gun tech is leaving for collage soon. I know the Roundtop Refs and employ's much better than those of 'Wanna Play Paintball' and its also my main field at the moment. Plus if I were to get a job a Roundtop I would actually get a pay check rather that being under payed in store credit.
Back to top Go down
DUNK-ALMIGHTY
Triarius/Salvo Operator
Triarius/Salvo Operator
DUNK-ALMIGHTY

PostSubject: Re: Not the best reffing experience today...   Not the best reffing experience today... EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 2:50 am

Oh man that sucks.
I saw an advertisement for a refs job at a field near-ish me about 6 months ago.
But it paid cash.
I think store credit instead of cash and 6 days unpaid work sounds like a total rip off to me.
I think you should go where your going to get paid properly dude.
But glad you could give some PB-ing advice to some newbies. :)
And it sounds like you enjoyed the job, just not the staff & company.
Chin up dude, it's their loss. Very Happy

Did you get to do any shooting?
Back to top Go down
project salvo pro
Pump
Pump
project salvo pro

PostSubject: Re: Not the best reffing experience today...   Not the best reffing experience today... EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 3:33 am

No, I didn't get to do any shooting but I got shot a few times. Razz I talked to my parents about it and they said that they agreed with my decision to not ref there completely. Like I said I'm going to the other feild later today(2in the morning here) and see about working there.
Back to top Go down
David199619
Spec Ops
Spec Ops
David199619

PostSubject: Re: Not the best reffing experience today...   Not the best reffing experience today... EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 5:54 am

Sounds like crap, well other than actually doing the job haha. Let us know how roundtop goes.
Back to top Go down
http://myalphablack.weebly.com/index.html
syclops
Mod/Triarius/Magfed/ABF Original
syclops

PostSubject: Re: Not the best reffing experience today...   Not the best reffing experience today... EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 8:23 pm

Sorry to heat that bud. At least you met a few good dudes. Go to where you will feel comfortable and respected and enjoy your time there. In the end you will go further at a place you enjoy working at so good luck bro.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mogpaintball.weebly.com
project salvo pro
Pump
Pump
project salvo pro

PostSubject: Re: Not the best reffing experience today...   Not the best reffing experience today... EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 9:07 pm

I called Round top today and they said throat they weren't going to be hiring again till mid September. I'll call then and try again. I'm still registered as a ref at wanna play so I may try there again next week. Most of the day at wanna play was good but I felt like there were two clicks and one was very welcoming and the other was the kind of people that I feel give paintball a bad name. Every time I tried to talk to them it ended in them making fun of me.
Back to top Go down
David199619
Spec Ops
Spec Ops
David199619

PostSubject: Re: Not the best reffing experience today...   Not the best reffing experience today... EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 11:40 pm

Mid septemeber isn't THAT far away, how old were these refs that we're unwelcoming and all?
Back to top Go down
http://myalphablack.weebly.com/index.html
project salvo pro
Pump
Pump
project salvo pro

PostSubject: Re: Not the best reffing experience today...   Not the best reffing experience today... EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 11:46 pm

I'd guess that they were around 17-18. Why? And no, September isn't that far...
Back to top Go down
DUNK-ALMIGHTY
Triarius/Salvo Operator
Triarius/Salvo Operator
DUNK-ALMIGHTY

PostSubject: Re: Not the best reffing experience today...   Not the best reffing experience today... EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 2:52 am

Probably picked on you abit cos they were older or something.
Was they arrogant to the any of the kids playing too?
People like that get right on my nipple ends.
Gotta get a job somewhere you get on with everyone mate, otherwise you'll lose the enjoyment out of your job.
Where do they live?
We'll send the reaper round for a home visit.

Not the best reffing experience today... 677374314 affraid Not the best reffing experience today... 259405488
Back to top Go down
StormShadowz
Black Ops
Black Ops

PostSubject: Re: Not the best reffing experience today...   Not the best reffing experience today... EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 8:53 am

Teens will be teens man...when they see a "newb" they get all intimidated and crap...just go out there...do your thing and have fun at it :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Not the best reffing experience today...   Not the best reffing experience today... Empty

Back to top Go down

Not the best reffing experience today...
Page 1 of 1