Alpha Black Paintball
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Questions for Military Veterans

Go down 
+3
Gramps
Brock
Amphibious Warlord
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Amphibious Warlord
Private
Private
Amphibious Warlord

Questions for Military Veterans Empty
PostSubject: Questions for Military Veterans   Questions for Military Veterans EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 10:58 pm

I want to talk about something that's been bothering me quite a bit now for a number of years. As most of you already know, I spent time in the Marine Corps. after I got out in 2008, and to this day, I'm a little disappointed how some Veterans get treated. I've had many run in's myself. Especially when I was in college. I'll share some of the things I've had happen to me.

Shorty after I got out of the Marine Corps, I started going to college. It started out fine, until one day it got brought up that I was a Marine, and an Iraq War Veteran. I was shocked by the backlash. Now, I don't expect everyone to love the military, and it's fine if they don't, but I was always taught that if you didn't have anything nice to say, than don't say anything.

To be fair, it was mostly only 2 other students, and 1 professor that said anything to me. At first, I just tried to ignore it, and told these people that they had no clue, and just to leave it alone.

One day I was getting ready to go home, and I noticed spit all over a Marine Corps sticker I have on the back of my truck. Another time, my professor said something along the line of people go into the military because they are not smart enough for college.

There was one time I was pushed too far. One day in class, I was called a baby killer, and told that I deserved the PTSD I came home with. They said that they read and watched the news, and knew the things we were doing over there. That kind of made me laugh, but that was really all I was going to take from these people. I told them that if they didn't respect the military, that's fine, you have that right, but if you think you are going to insult me, you must be out of your mind. Here's what I said.

Your problem is all you have to go off of is what you've seen in the news and in papers. You were never there, so you really don't have much of a leg to stand on do you? Think about what you are saying. You watch CNN and you read the news paper, therefore you know exactly what's going on. I watch CSI. That doesn't make me a forensics expert, now does it? It's not as cut and dry as people think it is. We, as in the military, don't go in there guns a blazin' , shooting everyone in the streets, and pissing on our enemies like the news likes to show. Does it happen? Yes, but for the most part, military members are respectful, and believe it or not, we don't shoot until somebody shoots at us first.

Your news coverage here is a joke compared to what really happens over there. There's never mention of us getting rpg's shot at us while handing soccer balls out to kids at a school is there? Nope, instead it's all over the world when somebody does something dumb. Those people do not represent the military. But that's ok, we'll continue to look like the ones who are ruthless savages, and get treated like s*** by our own people because they have no clue.

For the hell of it, lets put the shoe on the other foot. If somebody invaded my country would I be pissed? Yes. Would I take pop shots at them as they were passing by? Maybe? Would I shoot an rpg at them while they are at the elementary school handing things out to my countries children? There's no way! I don't blame some of those people for doing what they do, but having no regard for their own people, just to hurt one of us? Who's the real bad guy here?

Believe it or not, I wasn't all for the Iraq war either, but I didn't have a choice in the matter, and I was sent. That's the risk I took by enlisting in the Marines. What would your recommendation be? Lay down my rifle and walk home? Get a dishonorable discharge and never get a job? I couldn't have given a s*** less for the political reasons of why I was there, because the fact of the matter is that I WAS there. I fought for the man next to me, and he did the same for me. I did what I had to in order to survive, and I'm alive today because of it. Now quit making rude comments to me about things you haven't got a clue about, or we are going to have big problems.

Needless to say, most of the classroom seemed terrified, but I was just so sick of it. I later apologized to my professor, but she didn't really seem to have anything to say about it one way or another.

One last story is that while I was in college, I was looking for a job in order to have a little extra cash. Nothing too serious. There was one place where I had an interview. During the interview, I was asked about my service. I was then asked if I ever got mad while on the job, if I'd come in and shoot the place up. I left the interview after that.

Sorry to rant, but these are just a few examples of some of the things that have happened to me personally. Trust me when I say, there has been many more. I talk to some of the other Marines I served with, and my brother who's in the Army, and they all seem to had similar problems. The reason I brought this up here is because I know there are other Veterans here, and I was wondering if you've ever experienced anything like this?

I hope I don't come off as looking like I feel that I'm owed something, because that couldn't be further from the truth. To be honest, I mostly keep quiet about my service unless asked. It's not right though. We shouldn't have to ashamed about that.

Back to top Go down
Brock
Admin
Admin
Brock

PostSubject: Re: Questions for Military Veterans   Questions for Military Veterans EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 11:16 pm

You sir, are the definition of Semper Fidelis.

I did not serve. Neither did my father. But both of my grandparents and their fathers fought in ww1 and 2 respectively.

LOTS of my friends are soldiers. Most of them are actually pretty humble about the whole thing, but dont like to talk about the fighting. I was always more curious than anything.

I was raised better than the people in your story, and think that we DO owe something to those who serve no matter how big or small their job. I couldnt do what you do.

Orwell said it best: " People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
Back to top Go down
https://alphablack.forumotion.com
Gramps
Mod/Triarius/US Army/Milsim
Gramps

PostSubject: Re: Questions for Military Veterans   Questions for Military Veterans EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 3:01 am

I salute you brother, I could not of said better.
I do not really have problems but I think that may be due to my age, I served in the early 80s. Yes I have talked to freinds that have had problems and I hear people I work with complain about our troops being overseas, I tell them that I may not support the reason we are there but until EVERY last man and woman in uniform comes home I WILL supprt the troops. I also tell tell if they want to know what it is really like turn off the news and go talk to a recruiter and enlist, so far none of them have, I guess they want to talk only.

I know it can be hard for us when our own people treat us like dirt, but remember you can always tell them that the only reason they can insults us like that is because of what WE as sservice men and women have done for them!
Back to top Go down
http://teamdagger.weebly.com/
Amphibious Warlord
Private
Private
Amphibious Warlord

PostSubject: Re: Questions for Military Veterans   Questions for Military Veterans EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 4:32 am

Thanks for the kind words guys. I really do appreciate it. I just have a hard time wrapping my mind around some people's logic? How can you judge a person, without really actually knowing them? You don't know their personal story.

Back to top Go down
David199619
Spec Ops
Spec Ops
David199619

PostSubject: Re: Questions for Military Veterans   Questions for Military Veterans EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 7:14 am

I feel that anyone that served should get more respect than the common man, you and all the people who have served risked, or lost their lives just to protect us...don't know how people can disrespect people like that...
Back to top Go down
http://myalphablack.weebly.com/index.html
DUNK-ALMIGHTY
Triarius/Salvo Operator
Triarius/Salvo Operator
DUNK-ALMIGHTY

PostSubject: Re: Questions for Military Veterans   Questions for Military Veterans EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 10:24 am

It can be the same over here.
There's quite a few ex service guys at my work too.
I think anyone who decides to put their life on the line for freedom or moral ideals, deserve respect for what they've done.
And should never be treated like crap & some people need to realise that freedom isn't always free.
Sometimes there's a hefty price to pay & anyone willing to pay that price with there life for there fellow countrymen deserves the upmost respect.

Personally I'd have put in a complaint in about that proffesor too.
Theyre supposed to set an example to the students, not act like children themselves.
Back to top Go down
Gramps
Gramps

PostSubject: Re: Questions for Military Veterans   Questions for Military Veterans EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 3:54 pm

Here is something I found that may make you feel a bit better. The songs were written for our armed forces and to help thier morale.
The website is http://www.thewarriorsong.com/

The Warrior Song

The Warrior Song-Hard Corps (for our brothers in the USMC)

The Warrior Song- Leviathan ( For the NAVY)

Here is one from the site that I feel shows why we do it as well

The warrior song is availble for free to all current and formers members of the armed forces, the other 2 are availble to former and current members of the Navy and Marines. You can go to the contact page on the site for info on how to get them.

I plan on getting a warrior song t-shirt to show my support, check it out guys.
We are not forgotten by everyone, makes me feel proud when I hear these!

" I am a Warrior!"
Back to top Go down
http://teamdagger.weebly.com/
Tuflehundon
Mod/Marines
Mod/Marines
Tuflehundon

PostSubject: Re: Questions for Military Veterans   Questions for Military Veterans EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 10:08 pm

For me it's always been nothing but respect shown to me. Of course, I'm not a little guy wither, so that may have something to do with it.

I did have one issue with a professor due to a paper I did. I did a paper on Somalia. He said that the way I said things happened was incorrect, and that my source was giving me biased uninformed information. The dean ask what my source was. When I told him I was in Somalia, that ended the conversation, and my F went to an A.

Colleges are full of Liberal Hippie Douche bags.
Back to top Go down
http://teamdevilops.weebly.com/
Brock
Admin
Admin
Brock

PostSubject: Re: Questions for Military Veterans   Questions for Military Veterans EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 10:44 pm

lol. oh to be a fly on the wall for that meeting
Back to top Go down
https://alphablack.forumotion.com
Amphibious Warlord
Private
Private
Amphibious Warlord

PostSubject: Re: Questions for Military Veterans   Questions for Military Veterans EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 1:04 am

Tuflehundon wrote:
For me it's always been nothing but respect shown to me. Of course, I'm not a little guy wither, so that may have something to do with it.

I did have one issue with a professor due to a paper I did. I did a paper on Somalia. He said that the way I said things happened was incorrect, and that my source was giving me biased uninformed information. The dean ask what my source was. When I told him I was in Somalia, that ended the conversation, and my F went to an A.

Colleges are full of Liberal Hippie Douche bags.

I'm in the same boat as far as being a larger man than most, however I don't think these people were too worried about me getting physical with them because we were in a classroom. Plus one of them was a female, and I'm not sure, but I think the male was gay. So yeah, they were right by thinking that I wasn't going to beat up a female and a gay kid.

I doubt this would have ever happened outside of class. They were just younger kids without a clue. I'm sure they just wanted to be heard, and wanted to be able to tell their friends how they told off a Marine. If this wouldn't have been in a classroom, the things I said would probably have been much more vulgar.
Back to top Go down
omgtheqbistoast
TRIARIUS
TRIARIUS
omgtheqbistoast

PostSubject: Re: Questions for Military Veterans   Questions for Military Veterans EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 12:58 am

Amph, Gramps and all in here who have served.

First off, thank you all. I honestly couldn't do what you guys have done, and it's not because I don't love my country, it's because I know for a fact I'm not cut out for it.

Second, you're a better man than I would have been in your position Amph, somebody would have been getting called every name in the book. What you described is not deserved by any service man or woman in this country and even though I've not served should I ever catch some young snot nosed punk degrading someone who has served, there will be hell to pay.

Third, I just have to say I'm glad you're all on our side. If worse came to worse and somebody got the balls to invade, I think they'd be greatly shocked by the hell they'd catch.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Questions for Military Veterans   Questions for Military Veterans Empty

Back to top Go down

Questions for Military Veterans
Page 1 of 1