Alpha Black Paintball
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Military Life

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Amphibious Warlord
Private
Private
Amphibious Warlord

Military Life Empty
PostSubject: Military Life   Military Life EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 11:24 am

I know there's some people here that are interested in joining the military. I figured those of us that were in can help them out a little by letting them know about military life in general. Since I'm almost positive somebody will ask what the best branch is, I'll give my two cents. Be sure to keep in mind that things are going to be very different depending on the MOS you are given in any branch.

Tons of people go into the military with their recruiter telling them that they will be getting a certain job. If that's the case, make sure it's in writing otherwise it didn't happen. That's really with anything they promise you. When I enlisted, I did something called the delayed entry program, and was told I'd receive $2,000 for doing it. Well, it was never in writing, so I never got the money. Also, to be honest, the military is probably going put you where they need you. You might have thought you were going to be the next John Rambo, and end up being a cook. Sometimes, it just happens that way.

I served in the Marine Corps as a rifleman/mortarman, so I can really only comment about grunt life. I was a postal clerk for a very short time, but probably not long enough to have much of an opinion. Anyway, I was in the Marines, so of course I think the USMC is the best. Laughing

In all seriousness, each branch is very good at what they do. In my opinion, the Air Force does have a better overall quality of living compared to every other branch. I didn't have a ton on interaction with the Air Force, but I've been on a few Air Force bases, and I can tell you that they basically live in what looks like nice apartment buildings. I have a brother in law that was in the Air Force, but as we might remember, I can't really trust anything he says. I do have many friends in the Air Force, and they all seems to enjoy it. One of them even tells me that he doesn't even feel like he's in the military most of the time. He says it just feels like any other job to him. He's a pharmacist, so take it for what it is I guess.

Being the Marines is a department of the Navy, I did have quite a bit on interaction with them. The Navy living standards can be pretty good, but on ship they suck a$$. At least the ships I were on did anyway. I was only on ship for about 4 months, and I hated it. I'd rather sleep in mud. The people in the Navy do that stuff (stay on ship) for years so my hats off to them. My interactions with the Navy were with mostly Corpsman (the Marine Corps medics) and SEALS. Most of the SEALS I was around were snipers that were attached to us in Iraq. Every now and then, they would run around with us house to house, but mostly they were in buildings sniping, and most def saved our a$$es a few times. I have nothing but the best to say about Corpsman. I've seen them save Marines lives time and time again. Anyhow, from what I've seen, both SEALS and Corpsman are absolutely awesome, and amazing at what they do.

The Army and the Marines are pretty close to the same thing except in a few areas. The Army gets the newest and best equipment. In my experience with the Marines, we'd get mostly hand me downs from the Army or just use the same stuff that we used in 1970. There are also a ton of people in the Army, and a lot of different jobs. If you're looking to get college paid for, or any kind of sign on bonus, the Army probably has the most money to give you.

I think the reason why the Marines seem to get such respect is because they look and act more professional. Just my opinion. Don't get me wrong, some of the people in the Army/Navy/Air Force take great pride in what they do and how they look, but I feel it's different in the Marines. It's the es spirit de corps thing. Almost every Marine has a stupid stamp (a USMC tattoo) of some sort (myself included). I don't really see things like that in the other branches with the exception of special forces. I have a brother in the Army that says they get a kick out of watching the Marines. He said he was watching a Marine PFC and CPL interact. He was laughing because the CPL told the PFC to police call the smoke pit. The PFC shouted YES CPL and started cleaning up. He said the PFC acted like a robot. He told me that he could respect what they were doing, but the reason it was funny to him is because he was a CPL at the time. He said it's pretty rare to see an Army PFC shout YES CPL after everything they say unless they are in some kind of trouble. That's my take. The truth of it is, we all die and bleed under the same flag.

Anyway, this was mostly just me rambling, but if anyone has questions for me about anything USMC related, I'd be happy to answer them the best that
I can.
Back to top Go down
syclops
Mod/Triarius/Magfed/ABF Original
syclops

Military Life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Military Life   Military Life EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 11:52 am

Thanks AW...I enjoyed the read and the information will be valuable to those seeking!
Back to top Go down
http://www.mogpaintball.weebly.com
Gramps
Mod/Triarius/US Army/Milsim
Gramps

Military Life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Military Life   Military Life EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 12:44 pm

I agree with Sy, good write up. For anyone thinking of joining up, regardless of the branch that you go into my hat is off to you for serving your country, regardless of which country you live in too.
I was in the US Army so yes I am partial to them but I have spoken to many people thinking of joining the Armed Forces, and I have tried to give them an impartial view of all of them and what they have to offer, as well as things that can carry over to civialin life afterwards. Yes just about anyone can be a ground pounder (infantry) but there is not many jobs in the civialin market for a rifleman lol.
Back to top Go down
http://teamdagger.weebly.com/
Brock
Admin
Admin
Brock

Military Life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Military Life   Military Life EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 1:07 am

Military Life 1350422866

as a Marine,... is it in poor taste for non Marines to greet you with 'Semper Fi'?
Back to top Go down
https://alphablack.forumotion.com
Gramps
Gramps

Military Life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Military Life   Military Life EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 2:20 am

Brock wrote:
Military Life 1350422866

as a Marine,... is it in poor taste for non Marines to greet you with 'Semper Fi'?
I think it would depend on how they are doing it, if they were saying as a sign of respect to you then why not, if they are doing to be a smart alec then no it would be disrespectful, just my 2 cents
Back to top Go down
http://teamdagger.weebly.com/
Amphibious Warlord
Private
Private
Amphibious Warlord

Military Life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Military Life   Military Life EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 3:13 pm

Brock wrote:
Military Life 1350422866

I'm not going to get upset with somebody for saying it, but if I wasn't a Marine, I wouldn't say it. As long as they are not claiming to be a Marine when they are not, I'm alright with it. I do know some Marines that it does bother though. Just depends on the Marine I suppose. Like Gramps said, most people are saying it as a sign of respect. For those who don't know, Semper Fi means Always Faithful in Latin.

I can tell you something that does bother me though. Nothing I'd get upset over, but it is just kind of a pet peeve. When somebody knows I'm a Marine, and says Hoo Rahh to me. I know they sound similar, but Marines say Ooh Rah. Another thing is when people call Marines soldiers. To me, somebody in the Army is a soldier. I am a Marine. Call me a Marine, or one of the many Marine nicknames.
Back to top Go down
Tuflehundon
Mod/Marines
Mod/Marines
Tuflehundon

Military Life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Military Life   Military Life EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 6:10 pm

I have a lot of people who have family members that are marines say Semper Fi to me all the time. As long as you aren't trying to be a poser I will respect that fact that you took the time to show your respect.
Back to top Go down
http://teamdevilops.weebly.com/
Brock
Admin
Admin
Brock

Military Life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Military Life   Military Life EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 12:08 am

ill be honest,.. its intimidating as hell. no one wants to insult the member of a large,... high;y trained brotherhood,.... that has access to guns... Military Life 443124712 i like being alive.
Back to top Go down
https://alphablack.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

Military Life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Military Life   Military Life Empty

Back to top Go down

Military Life
Page 1 of 1