Alpha Black Paintball
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Let's get some equipment discussion going...

Go down 
+4
DUNK-ALMIGHTY
Amphibious Warlord
CptShadow
omgtheqbistoast
8 posters
AuthorMessage
omgtheqbistoast
TRIARIUS
TRIARIUS
omgtheqbistoast

Let's get some equipment discussion going... Empty
PostSubject: Let's get some equipment discussion going...   Let's get some equipment discussion going... EmptyWed May 30, 2012 3:31 am

Okay guys, lemme throw a few topics out there and see if we can get this topic stickied as a kinda forum convo on the best of everything out there...

As far as markers, we all know anything that is scenario related is king. I can't knock tourney players cuz they do what they do and they're good at it. More power to em, get our sport out there and recognized. But we're here for woodsball/scenario stuff. And any questions you guys think I miss, feel free to add.

Tactical Gear
1)Who makes the best tac vests for the money? I'm talking options, flexibility, carrying capacity, sizes (important because there are some bigger guys who play paintball fellas, I'm one of them)

2)Advantages/disadvantages of the following (as well as what they could be used for even if they're regarded as a disadvantage)
a)Scopes/Sights with mag above 2x
b)Tac lights/laser dots
c)Mock Suppressors
d)Ghillie Suits
e)Grips (i.e. foregrips/shroud attached)
f)Bipods

3)Who makes the best sights and what type should one go with? (i.e. ACOG style/Red Dot/Holo type site)

4)Tactical Radios and Communication accessories, which are the best? (i.e. brands and stuff like throat mics, etc.)

5)Any other helpful pieces of equipment you guys can suggest for a scenario game...

General Equipment
1)Motorized and Non-Motorized hoppers, who are the best in both categories (including the Cyclone which I know a lot of guys here swear by)? And btw, let's include some of the simple things, non motorized and non-cyclone would be nice to know too right?

2)Tanks - CO2, N2 or Compressed air (list advantages and disadvantages if you could) also what is an ideal size tank for different roles on the battlefield?

3)Remote or not? (Advantages and Disadvantages) Also what brand is the best and where's the cheapest place to get it?

4)Gun Cases - Necessary or no? And give opinions on the good ones if you have one.

5)Gear Bags - We all need em, or at least some kinda box where we keep our stuff, feel free to spout off on that too...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Let's get some equipment discussion going...   Let's get some equipment discussion going... EmptyWed May 30, 2012 8:20 am

Quote :
Tactical Gear
1)Who makes the best tac vests for the money? I'm talking options, flexibility, carrying capacity, sizes (important because there are some bigger guys who play paintball fellas, I'm one of them)

I have a rap4 vest, wich as far as i know is the same as the gxg vest. i like it. the layouts not all that customizable as the front pouches are permanately fixed. i keep tools, goggle spray and what not in the front pouches, theyre to small for full pods.the pod holders and tank on the back work well.

Quote :
2)Advantages/disadvantages of the following (as well as what they could be used for even if they're regarded as a disadvantage)

ive never tried, but i cant see how a sight with magnification could be all that usefull in paintball. i did just pick up a eotec replica though, havent played with it yet

Quote :

b)Tac lights/laser dots

from what ive heard, atleast from the feild ive been to they dont alow lasers because its suposed to be able to cause eye damage when passing through a goggle lense

3)Who makes the best sights and what type should one go with? (i.e. ACOG style/Red Dot/Holo type site)

see above, i put my money in trying a holo

Quote :

3)Remote or not? (Advantages and Disadvantages) Also what brand is the best and where's the cheapest place to get it?

i have a remote, id rather carry the tank weight on my body than the gun.
Back to top Go down
CptShadow
Private
Private
CptShadow

PostSubject: Re: Let's get some equipment discussion going...   Let's get some equipment discussion going... EmptyWed May 30, 2012 10:04 am

Tactical Gear
Well, to me the best vest will be the one that won't be a "weight you carry"...By that I mean that you can spend the whole day rocking it without feeling you're carrying a Middle Age armor, to my pov, the post I did on the options for all the vest, anyone can get a good rig for a good price. I now always look for true Mil-spec gear and don't come knocking around saying you don't have the budget because for under 300$ (brand new) you will get a full loadout that will last a lifetime and that you can customize endlessly...The key point to look for you loadout : Comfort...I don't care much about color, placement, size or whatever else, if I can't go through a day without taking it off here and there...might as well play naked (sure you guys get my point)...

...Simple, good for spoting, useless for aiming...
b)Tac lights/laser dots
If you play indoor/night ops, they get really usefull but then again, you have to learn how to use it the right way or else it's dead weight...
c)Mock Suppressors
For the look, it's nice...For usefullness, not so much (expect if you rock a Flasc kit then it becomes a added length the your barrel...
d)Ghillie Suits
If you know how to use it and you can modify it to any condition you play in, why not, concealment is a good factor in Scenario/MilSim paintball!!
e)Grips (i.e. foregrips/shroud attached)
Now you're talking, this is a really good add-on for mid-length to long rifles, on SMGs it does get usefull for added control but mainly a good support for ergonomic
f)Bipods
Mandatory for heavy-gunners and those you play sniper role with FS based markers...

ACOG: good for spotting since most use a 4x mag other than that, not so usefull if not supported with iron sights or doctor sights
Red-dot sights: Good for quick targeting, not really meant fro precision shooting but still usefull in CQB to mid-range combat.
EoTech's: Pretty much the same as red-dots but I do tend to stay away from them now since most repros have many quality issues to my pov.

4)Tactical Radios and Communication accessories, which are the best? (i.e. brands and stuff like throat mics, etc.)
When used the right way, it will become a key factor in battle , when used the wrong way, it is a pain in the butt specially if you have veteran operators around you...
For the rest, my recommendation: go the extra mile and get some good quality headgear (Throat mic, headset, speaker mic...
Throat mics: I personally stay away from them, I tried many makes'n'model and never really got what I wanted
Headsets: Todays repros are getting really good in quality so I wouldn't mind not buying the top notch, but if you can affort it, go for the real deal (MSA Sordin, Peltor Comtacs for ex.)
For the comms itself, a good pair of talkabouts will do the job but if you get your team together, you can get some really good deals on top models available (personally, I run a Puxing PX777 and I really like it and it comes at a pretty cheap price for what it does!)

5)Any other helpful pieces of equipment you guys can suggest for a scenario game...
That could end up being too long to list all but to point out just a few:
-Footwear;
-Mask;
-Headgear (helmet, cap..);
-Gloves;
-Water supply;
-Spare clothes;

General Equipment
1)Motorized and Non-Motorized hoppers, who are the best in both categories (including the Cyclone which I know a lot of guys here swear by)? And btw, let's include some of the simple things, non motorized and non-cyclone would be nice to know too right?
Cyclone feed's always been the choice for me, now with all the magfeed hype going on I'll let some others debate on that part since I'm not really qualified on it...But my best advise, the less you have to worry about your feed system the better...
Gravity hoppers will never let you down unless you decide to go ballistic or get in some positions where it won't work...
Battery operated, these I always been uncomfortable with them...to many components and the fear of dying batteries always got me worried...

2)Tanks - CO2, N2 or Compressed air (list advantages and disadvantages if you could) also what is an ideal size tank for different roles on the battlefield?
Co2....I don't see myself using this except with my TiPX....It was proven too many times to damage the internals and to create nightmares in cold weather
HPA, the best choice by far, easy on the gear, easy to use and mostly, you get a indicator to know whats left in the tank Wink

That to me is a personal choice but to have run with both, both get there share of goods and bads. For the choice, Pure energy, Ninja air, Cobra all make good stuff and most store carry them.

4)Gun Cases - Necessary or no? And give opinions on the good ones if you have one.
To me it is one really important part of gear. Keeping your marker safe during transport and also during storage is a thing to consider if you want to keep it in good shape for a long time. Many makes and models but to me I went the big boys way and got a Dual rifle 5.11 Vtac gun bag. I've had it for nearly 3 years now and no signs of wear on it!

5)Gear Bags - We all need em, or at least some kinda box where we keep our stuff, feel free to spout off on that too...
That part really is a personal choice, I like gear bags but not so many on the market can fit all my gear I need for the day on the field. Crates are nice but they can get pretty heavy and cumbersome because of the size, most bags can fold on themselves so storing them is good for space saving.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I could probably go on for hours but with this I think I did a good wrap up of everything and hope it helps some of you. If any of you need some personal advise on gear contact me via PM and I'll be glad to help.

Enjoy your paint season and take care,

Shadow ou
t

Back to top Go down
Amphibious Warlord
Private
Private
Amphibious Warlord

PostSubject: Re: Let's get some equipment discussion going...   Let's get some equipment discussion going... EmptyWed May 30, 2012 10:39 am

Oh man, I don't think I have the time right now to reply to all of this, but I'll do something quick here.

Footwear

I have Under Armour boots that I actually bought for work, but end up using more for playing paintball. This boot is so light, it feels like a running shoe. It's also very comfortable. Like I said, I originally bought these for work (I work in law enforcement) so I work 12 hour shifts and these boots never gave me problems. I've actually thought about buying another pair. One for work, and one for paintball. Laughing Here's a link if you are interested.

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/mens-ua-valsetz-trail-boot/pid1224003
Back to top Go down
DUNK-ALMIGHTY
Triarius/Salvo Operator
Triarius/Salvo Operator
DUNK-ALMIGHTY

PostSubject: Re: Let's get some equipment discussion going...   Let's get some equipment discussion going... EmptyWed May 30, 2012 3:33 pm

I'll do my kit when Ive got my PC up n running again. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
David199619
Spec Ops
Spec Ops
David199619

PostSubject: Re: Let's get some equipment discussion going...   Let's get some equipment discussion going... EmptyWed May 30, 2012 8:32 pm

I'll do mine tomorrow, I'm too tired today.
Back to top Go down
http://myalphablack.weebly.com/index.html
omgtheqbistoast
TRIARIUS
TRIARIUS
omgtheqbistoast

PostSubject: Re: Let's get some equipment discussion going...   Let's get some equipment discussion going... EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 8:02 pm

Here's another question for all: What do you guys think of using maybe a small fishing tackle box to hold all the small parts that are associated with a marker? (i.e. o-rings, bolts, etc)
Back to top Go down
omgtheqbistoast
TRIARIUS
TRIARIUS
omgtheqbistoast

PostSubject: Re: Let's get some equipment discussion going...   Let's get some equipment discussion going... EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 10:59 pm

Shadow, I read through your reviews in full, I appreciate the feedback for sure. I'm actually looking at an AMP 30mm red dot sight with rails that maybe I can put a tac light on or whatever from there for my sight now.

I'd like to know more about the radios you mentioned and where i can look up something on them. I'll probably get my team together and see about getting a better deal for sure. Thanks for the input on that as well. I'll shoot you a PM shortly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Let's get some equipment discussion going...   Let's get some equipment discussion going... EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 11:55 am

Amphibious Warlord wrote:
Oh man, I don't think I have the time right now to reply to all of this, but I'll do something quick here.

Footwear

I have Under Armour boots that I actually bought for work, but end up using more for playing paintball. This boot is so light, it feels like a running shoe. It's also very comfortable. Like I said, I originally bought these for work (I work in law enforcement) so I work 12 hour shifts and these boots never gave me problems. I've actually thought about buying another pair. One for work, and one for paintball. Laughing Here's a link if you are interested.

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/mens-ua-valsetz-trail-boot/pid1224003

I am just putting my kit together now getting ready for tommorows big westwood game and read your post about the footwear and realized I have a broken lace and no decent socks for my garrisons (kevlar 11 hole boots) Never underestimate the lameness of not having proper footwear. Man this is an expensive hobby LOL!
Back to top Go down
Gramps
Mod/Triarius/US Army/Milsim
Mod/Triarius/US Army/Milsim
Gramps

PostSubject: Re: Let's get some equipment discussion going...   Let's get some equipment discussion going... EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 2:19 pm

Mujahid_Ali wrote:

I am just putting my kit together now getting ready for tommorows big westwood game and read your post about the footwear and realized I have a broken lace and no decent socks for my garrisons (kevlar 11 hole boots) Never underestimate the lameness of not having proper footwear. Man this is an expensive hobby LOL!

True it is costly but the nice thing is if you get some good quality gear, it will last a long time if you take care of it.

But for my review here goes.
Tactical Gear
1.Vest are a big thing in the mil-sim group. If you go with good quailty they will last, I have a Airsoft replica of a maritime CIRAS which holds up great and is very comfortable. One big plus for many people is that it is very adjustable, from fitting a small kid to a very large adult.
If possible you should try different ones and see what you are comfortable with and also fits your playing style

2.a Scopes above 2x- These can be used for spotting and identifiing players, but far too many peopl think that with a good scope they can make the shots that they CANT, plus with many scopes the eye relief will not work very well with a mask on. SO basicly nice eye candy IMO.

b.Taclights are a must if you play any night games and some CQB indoors. Laser sights in my opinion are not worth the money, yes they look nice and can make the other side fear you (maybe) but once you turn it on you just give the other side a way to pinpoint your position. Plus many fields DO NOT allow them for safety reasons i.e. stupid people pointing them in the eyes of others etc.

c.Mock Suppresors- Great for a nice mil-sim tacticool look, but that is all lol. SOme people will try to make real ones for a marker as well, the problem with that is that in the US you HAVE to have a federal weapons permit to have one, the principal design for one is the same for a paintball marker and a real weapon. Makes law enforcement very nervous to have someone with one.

d. Gillie Suits- Like CptSHadow said if you know how to use one and can properly adjust it in the field these are great to help set ambushs, for snipers, and the like. But remember many fields use the rule that ANY hit counts if your in one. They dont call them bounce suits for nothing.

e. Grips- Cpt SHadow hit it on the head here, great for support, esspecially in CQB.

f. Bi-Pods- Again I defer to CptShadow

Radios- I currently use the midland FRS radios with head sets and survailance mikes. When you are with a team communications are a big thing, whether it is hand signals or verbal(radio, shouting etc.) Get what you can afford that is reliable. Practice with them, this is a must too many people will give you a long winding call and you will still not have any information to help you. Short messages but be as detailed as you can.

Now to jump ahead to some things,
CO2/HPA- If you can do HPA by all means do it, HPA is better in all types of weather, more reliaable, better on your marker.
CO2- If like me your in an area without HPA it may be your only choice. In cooler weather you have to be careful when firing rapidly due to freezing your marker up, have seen it happen and it bites when your in the field and you cannot return fire due to this.

Remote lines- Like the Cpt said this is a personal choice, I use one and I use the gurilla push botton connect and love it. I would recommend a push button over a slide check due to being able to disconnect without degassing the marker or turning the tank off. Shop around, read reviews and spend the extra for a good one, you will not be disappointted.

Gun Bags- Again I have to refer to CptShadow, if you have a good one it is a good investment

Gear Bags- Good choice if you can find a good one that your gear will fit into. I use one to carry spare pods, harnesses and such in. My primary gear I carry in a plano camo footlocker, it is sturdy, has 4 latchs and is airline certified, plus it has wheels on one end to make it easy to move.

Other Gear- I use the small tackle type boxes, that many people use for fising lures, odds and ends, and small parts to cary extra O-rings, lube and any other small parts. I also use a mtmcase-gard survivor dry box to carry my helmet and gun games. I lined it with shipping foam for extra protection.

Thsi is it for me for now, hope my views help.
Back to top Go down
http://teamdagger.weebly.com/
omgtheqbistoast
TRIARIUS
TRIARIUS
omgtheqbistoast

PostSubject: Re: Let's get some equipment discussion going...   Let's get some equipment discussion going... EmptyMon Jun 18, 2012 10:30 am

Thanks Gramps, I appreciate the input for sure.

Okay now I've got another question too...

I checked with Paintball Discounters and they are out of the smoke colored Proto Switch Thermal Lens that I wanted, but they offered me a Chrome Mirrored one in replacement for it. Now aside from the cool factor, is there any real benefit or any drawback to a chrome mirrored lens? I'm thinking of the obvious which is you're in sunlight and the mirror finish gives away your position to the enemy.

Anything else anybody can tell me?
Back to top Go down
EnVii
Private
Private
EnVii

PostSubject: Re: Let's get some equipment discussion going...   Let's get some equipment discussion going... EmptyMon Jun 18, 2012 11:46 am

I'm not going to comment on everything because I don't have experience with a lot of different equipment but I can comment on what I have.

I have the same vest as surreal but it's gxg and I really like it. The back part is velcro so you can customize it a decent bit. I have the tank all the way to the right so it feeds right to my gun. It also has 2 sets of 2+1 pod backs that can be moved. I use the front pouches for my squeegee, barrel cover, and I use my old project salvo mag to rest my gun on. The only downside is it is a little bulky but still isn't too bad.

As for tac lights I actually had the chance to listen to a Navy Seal and marine go over a night mission and how they use the lights. If you use them the right way they are highly effective.

On the topic of foregrip and bipod, I have a foregrip on mine and it feels a lot easier to handle the gun and to steady aim. I want to get the foregrip with a bipod in it though just to use in between games because I never really lay on my stomach.

Remote line or no remote line? I run the line because I'd rather the weight of the tank be carried on my legs/back instead of just my arms. The lighter I am the quicker I can move and engage.

With gun cases I have a gxg one and it's BIG. It also has room for two full size markers and you can probably fit another one without the barrel in another one. It has a lot of space for just about anything you can have and keeps it compact. Plus it has straps to use it as a backback for longer walks to get to the field or if you're carrying extra stuff.

Back to top Go down
omgtheqbistoast
TRIARIUS
TRIARIUS
omgtheqbistoast

PostSubject: Re: Let's get some equipment discussion going...   Let's get some equipment discussion going... EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 12:47 am

Okay after my equipment discussion getting going, I wanted to throw up what I'm going to be possibly purchasing for at least myself for the upcoming season/year of paintball and stuff.

Opinions are welcome as I'm putting forth what I'm looking to buy.

My potential loadout minus the marker
Back to top Go down
MrSpootenheimer
Private
Private
MrSpootenheimer

PostSubject: Re: Let's get some equipment discussion going...   Let's get some equipment discussion going... EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 1:27 am

omgtheqbistoast wrote:
Here's another question for all: What do you guys think of using maybe a small fishing tackle box to hold all the small parts that are associated with a marker? (i.e. o-rings, bolts, etc)
I use a clear storage box made for small crafts and parts, it works but the latch doesnt hold. make sure you get something that snaps good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Let's get some equipment discussion going...   Let's get some equipment discussion going... Empty

Back to top Go down

Let's get some equipment discussion going...
Page 1 of 1