Alpha Black Paintball
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Tippmann Gryphon?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Black Flag
Recruit
Recruit
Black Flag

Tippmann Gryphon? Empty
PostSubject: Tippmann Gryphon?   Tippmann Gryphon? EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 11:39 pm

My son is looking to buy his 1st marker. I've convinced him to buy tippmann, just because you can beat the hell out of em and they just don't'quit. He's considered both a 98 and the Carver One, and he's seriously looking at the gryphon. Does anyone have first hand experience with it? I know that a 98 can become a real moneypit, and he (right now) prefers speedball to woods. The $30-$50 saved could be the difference between co2 and hpa.
Back to top Go down
AЯЅфП
Mod/Pump/Ninja
Mod/Pump/Ninja
AЯЅфП

Tippmann Gryphon? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tippmann Gryphon?   Tippmann Gryphon? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 2:07 pm

I highly suggest looking at the crossover if your son likes more speedball to woodsball
its a marker capable of using batteries but also go mechanical with the batteries are dead
check out hustle paintball's youtube channel and find their video on it.
it also utlizes the same flex valve that was in the phenom

the gryphon is a plastic body and very cheaply made, it did not do that well for tippmann
hence why they released the crossover.
the gryphon also is a 98 in a speedball shell so its the same marker

98s are not really money pits at all acutally they are the cheapest marker to maintain, they are the AK 47's of paintball.
I have had several in my time and never upgraded anything and they still shot from when I got them to the day I sold them.....tanks!!!!

Plus with tippmann you have their suburb customer service!

I would highly suggest just going straight HPA, it will save you money in the long run, check your local CL for deals on tanks.

Back to top Go down
Black Flag
Recruit
Recruit
Black Flag

Tippmann Gryphon? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tippmann Gryphon?   Tippmann Gryphon? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 2:30 pm

Maybe I should have mentioned- he's 9. Not gonna spend $350 on a marker when he decides he could be done with it in 3 months.
Back to top Go down
AЯЅфП
Mod/Pump/Ninja
Mod/Pump/Ninja
AЯЅфП

Tippmann Gryphon? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tippmann Gryphon?   Tippmann Gryphon? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 4:09 pm

Black Flag wrote:
Maybe I should have mentioned- he's 9. Not gonna spend $350 on a marker when he decides he could be done with it in 3 months.

ahh makes sense.

I would suggest just getting a 98 with an e trigger if you think he will be done
in 3 months
Back to top Go down
syclops
Mod/Triarius/Magfed/ABF Original
syclops

Tippmann Gryphon? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tippmann Gryphon?   Tippmann Gryphon? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 4:14 pm

I would go with the Custom 98 as well...as Arson mentioned some good points. If your 9 year old continues to want to play, he can certainly upgrade the marker with a ton of different options. Plus the price point is a great for a kid his age.

The only downside to the Carver One is the ability to upgrade it with the Cyclone Feed system.

Like you, I have a 10 year old getting into the sport this year. I'm going used for his first marker...if he likes it after a year on the field, I will move him into something better or upgrade.

BTW... craigslist is a great source for used markers!
Back to top Go down
http://www.mogpaintball.weebly.com

Tippmann Gryphon? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tippmann Gryphon?   Tippmann Gryphon? EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 1:44 am

hey, i bought one. i was curious and i decided i wanted to dip my toes in a speedball type gun. its a good beginner gun. i wouldnt get one strictly becouse its not your typical tippmann. its not made like a tank i actually cracked the one i had. Its been sold now. it has its perks double trigger, simple teardown and rebild, shoots pretty good for the price but im thinking you would be better to go with somthing better used when it comes to speedball guns, but if you wanna stay with tippmann not the way to go. like everyone els said id go 98
Back to top Go down
Black Flag
Recruit
Recruit
Black Flag

Tippmann Gryphon? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tippmann Gryphon?   Tippmann Gryphon? EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 11:31 am

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't thought to check out CL yet. Basically I'm going to tell him if he decides to go with the gryphon, he needs to be prepared to replace it sooner rather than later- assuming he continues playing that is. Maybe I'll convince him to buy something I want, so that if he quits I'll just claim it!
Back to top Go down
AЯЅфП
Mod/Pump/Ninja
Mod/Pump/Ninja
AЯЅфП

Tippmann Gryphon? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tippmann Gryphon?   Tippmann Gryphon? EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 1:52 pm

Black Flag wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I hadn't thought to check out CL yet. Basically I'm going to tell him if he decides to go with the gryphon, he needs to be prepared to replace it sooner rather than later- assuming he continues playing that is. Maybe I'll convince him to buy something I want, so that if he quits I'll just claim it!

thats always a good plan.
Back to top Go down
DUNK-ALMIGHTY
Triarius/Salvo Operator
Triarius/Salvo Operator
DUNK-ALMIGHTY

Tippmann Gryphon? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tippmann Gryphon?   Tippmann Gryphon? EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 12:40 pm

Or get a Tacamo D-mag conversion kit for the 98??
Got yourself a magfed beast then bud. Tippmann Gryphon? 3633637710
Back to top Go down
AЯЅфП
Mod/Pump/Ninja
Mod/Pump/Ninja
AЯЅфП

Tippmann Gryphon? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tippmann Gryphon?   Tippmann Gryphon? EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 1:42 pm

DUNK-ALMIGHTY wrote:
Or get a Tacamo D-mag conversion kit for the 98??
Got yourself a magfed beast then bud. Tippmann Gryphon? 3633637710

Quote :
I know that a 98 can become a real moneypit, and he (right now) prefers speedball to wood

ya .....if you read the the OP's post Razz
Back to top Go down
Black Flag
Recruit
Recruit
Black Flag

Tippmann Gryphon? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tippmann Gryphon?   Tippmann Gryphon? EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 2:32 pm

Back to top Go down
AЯЅфП
Mod/Pump/Ninja
Mod/Pump/Ninja
AЯЅфП

Tippmann Gryphon? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tippmann Gryphon?   Tippmann Gryphon? EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 3:02 pm

dont see what he bought
but at least he has one now!
Back to top Go down
Black Flag
Recruit
Recruit
Black Flag

Tippmann Gryphon? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tippmann Gryphon?   Tippmann Gryphon? EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 4:59 pm

Tippmann Gryphon? 98custom

That's better!
Back to top Go down
AЯЅфП
Mod/Pump/Ninja
Mod/Pump/Ninja
AЯЅфП

Tippmann Gryphon? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tippmann Gryphon?   Tippmann Gryphon? EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 5:14 pm

nice pick up

now here is a few tips:

1-for a quicker trigger pull, break it down and replace the trigger
spring with a clicky pen spring, it will lighten the trigger pull

2-for the flat line they are hard on paint, suggest hardshell paint
if you are looking for another barrel to add to it, pick up a CP 14" barrel they
are cheap and work great, around $25-30 depends on place

3-I would change for HPA as a general rule for all markers

4- the sound signature is unique on the flatline, once you hear it fire
you know what it is on the field more a heads up then a tip :

5- HAVE FUN!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tippmann Gryphon? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tippmann Gryphon?   Tippmann Gryphon? Empty

Back to top Go down

Tippmann Gryphon?
Page 1 of 1