Alpha Black Paintball
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

proper hydration and hot weather tips

Go down 
+4
Gramps
David199619
Brock
StormShadowz
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
StormShadowz
Black Ops
Black Ops

proper hydration and hot weather tips Empty
PostSubject: proper hydration and hot weather tips   proper hydration and hot weather tips EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 11:23 am

Greetings fellow operators, with the summer setting in here in North America and heat related illnesses being a major problem over the weekend at Living Legends I have decided to bring about several key points here for safety reasons.

Over the weekend I had to re-establish myself as a medical professional at Living Legends in Joliet IL. It was about 85* F with humidity around 45% and constant sun in the sky with no cloud cover. I have always carried several advanced medical supplies at all games I attend for the reasons as stated by Murphy in Murphy's Law. All weekend I had well over several dozen players from both LL3 and NPPL go down to heat related issues, I ran out of IVs, cold packs, ice, bags, and even water towards the end. I only had to hospitalize 2 out of everyone who had issues.

First tip and safety issue is simple hydration and being in some what shape will help you out tremendously. As far as hydration remember, you want to not just drink water but an electrolyte based sports drink or pedialyte as well. the true base one wants is 35% sports/pedialyte to about 65% water. It will help you keep the process of of the excretory system working properly with out much damage.

Tip 2 remember Ice water is detrimental to anyone in hot weather, due to the fact that yes it "should" cool you down since its colder right???? Answer is wrong although it helps drop your core temp it will increase it as a natural way the body works. Water that is slightly chilled to room temp is best and safest.

Tip 3 For Scenario players who wear Shemaghs remember to soak it and wrap your self with it, I do not recommend the urine method unless its life or death and your stranded in a desert. We usually have access to potable water at most fields use it wisely!

Tip 4, take time to get out of the game and the sun often and remove all armor or vests to help with cooling down.

Tip 5 if you need to cool a player down use ice packs or medical cold packs and place them under the armpit of the affected player it will help with bringing his core temp down faster and safer. remember to remove tight or restrictive clothing when possible.

Tip 6 if you don't have cold packs, a plastic grocery bag and ice will work just as well!

Tip 7 remember to consume food through out the day, you'll need to carbs, nutrients, etc etc all day long, beer is not a food during times like this, although it is when relaxing in a normal setting

My final tip here is tip 8, if something doesn't feel right, trust your instincts and tell someone or anyone around you! There is nothing wrong with it safety is OUR priority and if you see someone who seems "drunk" while in heat that is a great sign for heat stroke, dehydration and other heat related issues, stop them and say something if they refuse tell safety personnel or a ref.

Here's the end to my rant here and now you know and knowing is half the battle. Feel free to add anything to this list guys of relevance to these issues.

courtesy of HeavyDuty @ X7og.net
Back to top Go down
Brock
Admin
Admin
Brock

PostSubject: Re: proper hydration and hot weather tips   proper hydration and hot weather tips EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 1:09 am

I use a camelback,.. and the water can get almost hot after a whole day,.. that an issue at all?
Back to top Go down
https://alphablack.forumotion.com
David199619
Spec Ops
Spec Ops
David199619

PostSubject: Re: proper hydration and hot weather tips   proper hydration and hot weather tips EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 3:29 am

I put water bottles in my +1's, but apparently there's a hydration pouch on my vest, just don't know what to put in it
Back to top Go down
http://myalphablack.weebly.com/index.html
StormShadowz
Black Ops
Black Ops

PostSubject: Re: proper hydration and hot weather tips   proper hydration and hot weather tips EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 11:54 pm

Brock wrote:
I use a camelback,.. and the water can get almost hot after a whole day,.. that an issue at all?

add ice to your water man...thats what i do when i fill my camelbak and it stays cool pretty much the whole day...when i played at the Skirmish Pa DDAY not only did the water kept me cool but having a cool camelbak on my kept me reasonably cool too :)
Back to top Go down
David199619
Spec Ops
Spec Ops
David199619

PostSubject: Re: proper hydration and hot weather tips   proper hydration and hot weather tips EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 12:59 am

Isn't DDAY an airsoft game?
Back to top Go down
Brock
Admin
Admin
Brock

PostSubject: Re: proper hydration and hot weather tips   proper hydration and hot weather tips EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 1:32 am

StormShadowz wrote:
Brock wrote:

add ice to your water man...thats what i do when i fill my camelbak and it stays cool pretty much the whole day...when i played at the Skirmish Pa DDAY not only did the water kept me cool but having a cool camelbak on my kept me reasonably cool too :)

i meant medically,.. drinking warmer water,.. bad?
Back to top Go down
Brock
Admin
Admin
Brock

PostSubject: Re: proper hydration and hot weather tips   proper hydration and hot weather tips EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 1:34 am

David199619 wrote:

whaaaaaaat?

someone educate this boy

*stands up, shaking his head, and walks out dramatically*
Back to top Go down
Gramps
Mod/Triarius/US Army/Milsim
Gramps

PostSubject: Re: proper hydration and hot weather tips   proper hydration and hot weather tips EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 1:52 am

Brock wrote:
StormShadowz wrote:
Brock wrote:

Dont quote me on it but I want to say that if is very hot out then cool (not cold) or luke warm water is best, I would do as Storm said, put some ice in it, it will keep it from getting hot on you and help cool you as well.
One to remeber even hot water is better than no water, when I play I make sure to take lots of water even on cool days, last game was in the mid 50s and I took a case of bottled water and others had water too.
Back to top Go down
http://teamdagger.weebly.com/
DUNK-ALMIGHTY
Triarius/Salvo Operator
Triarius/Salvo Operator
DUNK-ALMIGHTY

PostSubject: Re: proper hydration and hot weather tips   proper hydration and hot weather tips EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 4:04 am

David199619 wrote:
I put water bottles in my +1's, but apparently there's a hydration pouch on my vest, just don't know what to put in it
You need to get a bladder for it mate.
Gimme the pouches dimensions & I'll have a little hunt for ya.

And If your referring to what liquid to put in it.
I'd recommend either water, diluted pop with water or a simple energy drink like "lucozade".
NOT an energy drink with extra caffeine in though....EG "Red Bull".
Back to top Go down
David199619
Spec Ops
Spec Ops
David199619

PostSubject: Re: proper hydration and hot weather tips   proper hydration and hot weather tips EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 5:16 am

That's what it is! A bladder! And it's alright dude I can get some searching done, I'm pretty bored at the moment haha.
Back to top Go down
StormShadowz
Black Ops
Black Ops

PostSubject: Re: proper hydration and hot weather tips   proper hydration and hot weather tips EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 8:52 am

David199619 wrote:

uhm you live in Pa dont you?

http://www.skirmish.com/

that dont look like airsoft to me LOL

back to the water.....hmmm hot water kinda taste gross coming out of camel bak LOL
Back to top Go down
David199619
Spec Ops
Spec Ops
David199619

PostSubject: Re: proper hydration and hot weather tips   proper hydration and hot weather tips EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 9:43 am

Storm, look at this, it says "*Note this is an Airsoft Game*" right at the top. I'm confused here now.
Back to top Go down
StormShadowz
Black Ops
Black Ops

PostSubject: Re: proper hydration and hot weather tips   proper hydration and hot weather tips EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 10:41 am

I dont know what your seeing but i see skirmish usa the world premire paintball facility
Back to top Go down
Gramps
Gramps

PostSubject: Re: proper hydration and hot weather tips   proper hydration and hot weather tips EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 2:30 pm

One of the worst things you can use to try to hydrate yourself is pop, stick with water, drinks powerade, gatorade etc, and I hate to say it, being the coffee addict that I am but NO coffee, a cup in the morning would be ok but not alot of it. Most pops/sodas and coffee are what is know as diuretics, meaning they make you pee more often, this also goes for alcohol. Last thing you want is to get rid of the liduid your putting in your body.
Back to top Go down
http://teamdagger.weebly.com/

PostSubject: Re: proper hydration and hot weather tips   proper hydration and hot weather tips EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 6:33 pm

DUNK-ALMIGHTY wrote:
And If your referring to what liquid to put in it.
I'd recommend either water, diluted pop with water or a simple energy drink like "lucozade".
NOT an energy drink with extra caffeine in though....EG "Red Bull".

Actually, for cleaning purposes, I'd probably only put water in a hydration bladder. Sticky liquids can be difficult to properly clean out. Definitely worth it to carry something with electrolytes (gatorade/powerade/make your own) but in a bottle that's easier to clean out when you're done.
Back to top Go down
StormShadowz
Black Ops
Black Ops

PostSubject: Re: proper hydration and hot weather tips   proper hydration and hot weather tips EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 6:50 pm

if you do use a camelbak....clean it out and dry it out...you dont mold showing up in the drinking tube and bladder

Last edited by StormShadowz on Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
David199619
Spec Ops
Spec Ops
David199619

PostSubject: Re: proper hydration and hot weather tips   proper hydration and hot weather tips EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 7:16 pm

OOfff that would be disgusting. Advice taken.
Back to top Go down
Amphibious Warlord
Private
Private
Amphibious Warlord

PostSubject: Re: proper hydration and hot weather tips   proper hydration and hot weather tips EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 10:55 pm

I fill my camel back up halfway with water the night before I play and stick it in the freezer. Before I leave, I fill it the rest of the way with more water. It's always worked out great for me. It'll keep your water cool for most of the day.
Back to top Go down
Tuflehundon
Mod/Marines
Mod/Marines
Tuflehundon

PostSubject: Re: proper hydration and hot weather tips   proper hydration and hot weather tips EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 11:01 pm

Amphibious Warlord wrote:
I fill my camel back up halfway with water the night before I play and stick it in the freezer. Before I leave, I fill it the rest of the way with more water. It's always worked out great for me. It'll keep your water cool for most of the day.

What I do is get one of the flexable blue ise packs and freeze it overnight. Then I stick it in the Camelbak next to mu bladder. It stays cold longer, and won't make any noise as it moves around.

It's kinda like this but bigger (you can get them at Walmart):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rubbermaid-FG1002TL220-Blue-Ice-Lunch-Pack-/370566305598?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564779173e
Back to top Go down
http://teamdevilops.weebly.com/
Amphibious Warlord
Private
Private
Amphibious Warlord

PostSubject: Re: proper hydration and hot weather tips   proper hydration and hot weather tips EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 11:06 pm

Tuflehundon wrote:

What I do is get one of the flexable blue ise packs and freeze it overnight. Then I stick it in the Camelbak next to mu bladder. It stays cold longer, and won't make any noise as it moves around.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rubbermaid-FG1002TL220-Blue-Ice-Lunch-Pack-/370566305598?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564779173e

Good idea. I have one of those knee wraps that you freeze. I suppose I could probably wrap that around my camelbak bladder if it will fit.
Back to top Go down
Tuflehundon
Mod/Marines
Mod/Marines
Tuflehundon

PostSubject: Re: proper hydration and hot weather tips   proper hydration and hot weather tips EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 11:20 pm

Tuflehundon wrote:

Good idea. I have one of those knee wraps that you freeze. I suppose I could probably wrap that around my camelbak bladder if it will fit.

The one that I use is from a Back wrap that you freeze. Works great, keeps my water super cold all day.
Back to top Go down
http://teamdevilops.weebly.com/
Lonewolf03
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: proper hydration and hot weather tips   proper hydration and hot weather tips EmptyFri May 18, 2012 7:57 am

Brock wrote:
I use a camelback as well, but fill it with a little water and mostly ice. It lasts longer that way, especially in the heat of summer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: proper hydration and hot weather tips   proper hydration and hot weather tips EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 8:43 pm

Brock wrote:
StormShadowz wrote:
Brock wrote:

I prefer warm water and never use ice or chilling myself, find what little brain I have goes into nuclear winter when I do >.< then again I grew up in the desert so heat to me is second nature. I also drink an average of 1.5 to 2 gallons of water daily in the summer. Not to mention I generally never drink sodas or any carbonated beverages.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: proper hydration and hot weather tips   proper hydration and hot weather tips EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 8:46 pm

Sufficed to say I love the heat, just last weekend we played for 6 hours in the 104 degree heat. Its rough but part of the game to be honest especially if you live in the desert.
Back to top Go down
David199619
Spec Ops
Spec Ops
David199619

PostSubject: Re: proper hydration and hot weather tips   proper hydration and hot weather tips EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 9:30 pm

greg812003 wrote:
Sufficed to say I love the heat, just last weekend we played for 6 hours in the 104 degree heat. Its rough but part of the game to be honest especially if you live in the desert.

What the hell? Is that normal temperature for you?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: proper hydration and hot weather tips   proper hydration and hot weather tips Empty

Back to top Go down

proper hydration and hot weather tips
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next