Not trying to get too political here

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
EnVii
Private
Private

PostSubject: Not trying to get too political here   Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:02 am

Seeing how everyone on here has some interest in assault style weapons since our markers all look similar to ARs and other similar weapons what do y'all think about this proposed assault weapon ban? I know some of us here own firearms and like to shoot and I also know there are people from outside the states on here so heres a place for opinions. I think we can all keep posting clean and calm and just share. We all have a different thought on the topic and I think we can give a good representation of what the people really think.
So lets share how we feel and look at both sides of the topic!

As fore me I grew up shooting guns. I shot my first shot gun and handgun when I was about 5 years old so to me firearms aren't a scary thing. I believe that taking guns will only take them away from the good law abiding citizens. If you're going to be a criminal and commit a crime, especially killing, then why would a law banning firearms stop you? Plus if someone really wants to commit murder they don't need a firearms to kill someone. That can be done with your hands. If you're taught to respect a firearms and understand how to use it, it won't be used for bad things.

I also look at it from the other side. I wouldn't mind stricter regulations when it comes to things like tougher background checks to purchase a firearm. Make sure there isn't some type of mental illness and crime record for people trying to buy a gun.
Second there should be something like a 2 week cool down period to prevent people from getting angry and buying a gun and shooting someone dead on that evening. Two weeks could make someone forget about why they are angry.

It's sad to say that while I write this a 13 year old was killed by a stolen firearms because a few teens were "playing with it" Teach children at a young age to respect the power of a gun and how to use it and this won;t happen.

So please don't be afraid to share your opinion. I know I won't look at you any different for stating your honest opinion and these laws and it would be nice to hear from people who live in different states and countries.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tuflehundon
Mod/Marines
Mod/Marines

PostSubject: Re: Not trying to get too political here   Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:26 am

We already have waiting periods. Most common is 3 days, some are higher than that. Gun control does not work. CT already had an AWB, Columbine happened during the last ban. All it did was make mags expensive and have the manufacturers change the way guns looked a little.

Good thing I already have my "evil looking guns", there won't be a turn in no matter what. There would be another revolution before that would happen.

Gun control isn't about crime, criminals don't follow laws anyways, it's about control.

England banned gun, and gun deaths did go down, but home invasions and robberies while the owner was home spiked over 130%. Same in Austrailia.

Look at the cities and states with the strictest gun laws, they have the highest violent crime rates. Then look at the cities and states with the loosest gun laws. They have the lowest violent crime rates. Unarmed citizens are easy targets.

I don't see anything passing anyways. Last time they passed the AWB, the Dems lost control of congress, and it took them years to get any power back. You can bet they remember that fact. You can also bet the NRA and other gun rights groups are reminding them of that fact as well. Those in super safe areas, like Fienstien and others will vote for it, but how many that are not in safe havens for liberals will risk there seats?

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://teamdevilops.weebly.com/
EnVii
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Not trying to get too political here   Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:55 pm

See I agree with what you say. I'm only 19 so I never really knew about the ban when Clinton was in office so I'm not fully sure of what exactly happened. It's true though that criminals don't follow laws anyway and without guns in homeowners hands they shouldn't have anything to be scared of.
I hope they aren't going to be stupid enough to ban them though because I'm just getting back into shooting guns agains.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tuflehundon
Mod/Marines
Mod/Marines

PostSubject: Re: Not trying to get too political here   Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:58 pm

EnVii wrote:
See I agree with what you say. I'm only 19 so I never really knew about the ban when Clinton was in office so I'm not fully sure of what exactly happened. It's true though that criminals don't follow laws anyway and without guns in homeowners hands they shouldn't have anything to be scared of.
I hope they aren't going to be stupid enough to ban them though because I'm just getting back into shooting guns agains.

It would be political suicide for them to pass an outright ban forcing a turn in. Which in turn would cause a revolution.

Passing the Clinton era AWB is what gave Republican a super majority, when they hadn't had power in 40 years. The last AWB was a complete joke. You could still buy the guns they tried to outlaw, but they would be cosmetically different. Then you would pay a gunsmith to add the cosmetic parts back on.

The last ban limited mag capacity to 10 rounds on newly made pistols. So gun companies started making compact pistols in droves, which the left really hated.

If you are worried about a ban passing, which is possible, but doubtful, then start buying high capacity mags for the guns you want to get. You will not find any right now for decent prices, but they should be back in stock in a month or so. Mag manufacturers are running 3 shifts right now running production around the clock to meet demand. Mainly get AR mags of you want an AR, and high cap pistol mags for whatever pistol you want. Buy extras to, in case the ones you have break.

Luckily I had just bought most of the guns I wanted. Still want a 9mm Glock 34 for compition though. I did manage to get several mags for it before the panic buying started. Even if there is a ban, I will still be able to buy a Glock 34. It will just come with a 10rnd mag. I'll just swap that out for one of mine and be good to go.

Back to top Go down
EnVii
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Not trying to get too political here   Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:05 pm

So I'm guessing you do a lot of shooting? It's good to hear a side of the story that isn't the media. Unfortunately I can't really buy even the mags right now because I don't make too much money to afford just magazines.
Since you seem to know a good bit about guns I do have a question. What makes glock so great? Is it really that big of a deal or just a name? I kind of like the smith and wesson M&P's
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gramps
Mod/Triarius/US Army/Milsim

PostSubject: Re: Not trying to get too political here   Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:41 pm

I feel that we do not really need more laws on gun control, just better enforcement of the ones we do have.

Yes if they tried to ban ALL guns there would be a civil war I think, and I pray it never comes to something like that.

One thing that many people have to think about too is that many military leaders around the world have stated that one thing that has always prevented a foreigin power from attempting to invade the US is the number of weapons in the hands of the civilains, remember that it was the public that helped win our independence.

I also feel that it would be politicaly sucide to try for a outright ban, and those that claim to only want to ban weapons from the military forget that many hunting weapons are used by the military, i.e. remington 700, mossberg shotgun, as well as many handguns. If you want to get picky as well even mussleloaders were military weapons at one time.

Better gun control amounts to a few simple thisngs in my opinion,

1)Better background checks to include mental health.

2) Better enforement and stiffer sentences for those you possess a weapon during a crime, wheter they use it or not.

3) education, people have to know HOW to properly use, carry , and store their weapons. Far too many kids have been killed playing with a gun they found loaded with no trigger lock in a shoebox.

People need to learn that a weapon is a TOOL, one that can be used for hunting, compiteition, self defense, as well crime. It is our job as gun owners to educate people, and to be responsible.

If the ban happens then we as the voting public can show our disapoval by not voting those who support the ban back into office.

My dad always taught me that gun safety begins at home, he taught me to shoot when I was around 6 and gave my a .22 single shot rifle when I was 10, it stayed on a gun rack with the ammo locked in a drawer, he and I had the only keys to it, and no one in my family ever did anything stupid with a gun, been around them my whole life.

I guess I have been shooting longer than many of our members have been alive, and I will gladly teach anyone about weapons, and when people say they have to get one for defense, I talk to them about it, explain what that means and the risks involved.

Gun control begins with us the gun owner. respect them for what they are, a tool, a very dangarous tool if used improperly

"United we stand, divided we fall, we are Alpha Bravo"
SYOTOS
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://teamdagger.weebly.com/
EnVii
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Not trying to get too political here   Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:28 pm

Well gramps I'm pretty sure you've summed up everything I've thought about since this whole weapons ban proposal.

Someone told me this and I'm guessing it is true that the reason Japan didn't invade the mainland was because our citizens have guns.

I live near new orleans which is now the most dangerous city in the world and I get nervous going there knowing I can't even carry a handgun on me. I using carry my fixed blade and I have a large one in my truck just for self defense. I wouldn't really want to go out to the city if I couldn't carry a firearm because I almost never do now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tuflehundon
Mod/Marines
Mod/Marines

PostSubject: Re: Not trying to get too political here   Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:48 pm

It was a Japanese Admiral who said: You cannot invade the American mainland, there would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.

As far as the Glock goes, it's just a very simple pistol. Easy to work on and modify. Parts are numerous and cheap, and it runs. Big thiong is the price, it's pretty low compaired to other pistols.

I use a Glock 22 to shoot USPSA / IPSC Limited Division. Haven't done many mods to it. Just a factory extended slide release, and mag release. Arredondo magazine extensions. Had some custum trigger work done. And a Jager Stainless hardened steel guiderod. Doesn't need much else.

S&W M&P's are great guns to, so are the Springfield XD / XDm's. You will see both at compitions, and they run well to. There are a few comapnies that make race gun parts for the M&P's and XDm's, but there are a lot more companies making the parts for the Glock's.

I love my Glock, and I love the fact that's it's a bit of an underdog in my Division. I have about $600 into my Glock including the extra mags and extensions. I am shooting and competing regularly against guys with $5000 guns, and do very well against them. I am never beat by a better (more expensive) gun, I am beat by better shooters.

It's kinda like the feeling you get using an Alpha Black and sending the guy with an Ego to the dead box.

Last edited by Tuflehundon on Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gramps

PostSubject: Re: Not trying to get too political here   Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:15 am

Tuflehundon wrote:
I am never beat by a better (more expensive) gun, I am beat by better shooters.

It's kinda like the feeling you get using an Alpha Black and sending the guy with an Ego to the dead box.

Well said and it it the truth! It is the man or woman behind the gun that is good, not the gun.

SYOTOS
Back to top Go down
EnVii
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Not trying to get too political here   Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:37 am

I just want a handgun that IF the situation comes that I have to use to it WILL work. Plus I want something that will shoot smooth when I bring it out on the range. Right now my dad is giving me a passed down smith and wesson M&P revolver thats probably from the 40s. Hopefully I'll be able to get it out on the range soon.

And hell yea it's awesome to get people out with an AB when they run around with $800 markers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tuflehundon
Mod/Marines
Mod/Marines

PostSubject: Re: Not trying to get too political here   Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:53 am

Revolvers will always work, that is the big advantage to them. They are the most reliable handgun you can own. Semi Auto's have the advatage of holding more ammo and being faster for most people to reload. Look up Jerry Miculek on YouTube and be amazed at the things he can do with a revolver.

I prefer semi auto pistols, but that is because what I was trained on, so I am more comfertable with them. Use what you have.

Back to top Go down
Gramps

PostSubject: Re: Not trying to get too political here   Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:13 am

I too prefer an auto but the S&W M&P model 10 is a reliable weapon, my dad carried one for years as a police officer.

SYOTOS
Back to top Go down
Tuflehundon
Mod/Marines
Mod/Marines

PostSubject: Re: Not trying to get too political here   Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:39 am

I carried a M9 Berretta (Hated that piece of crap) for a yearor so, then I carried my personal 1911 the rest of the time I was in. Learned to shoot with a 1911, and I shot the 1911 in compitition for a few years. I just recently switched to the Glock since I want to start shooting 3gun again. The higher capacity is a big advantage for 3gun. 20 (.40S&W) to 23 (9mm) is better than 8 to 10 in the 1911.

Back to top Go down
EnVii
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Not trying to get too political here   Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:51 pm

Since both of talk seem to have some experience what would y'all prefer a .40 or .45? I know it's more preference but which do y'all like better?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tuflehundon
Mod/Marines
Mod/Marines

PostSubject: Re: Not trying to get too political here   Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:34 pm

EnVii wrote:
Since both of talk seem to have some experience what would y'all prefer a .40 or .45? I know it's more preference but which do y'all like better?

I have both a .45 and a .40. .45ACP has the better stopping power, but my .40S&W has good stopping power as well, and has twice the ammo capacity. In the current preban world, I carry a Glock 22 .40S&W. It gives me 15+1 instead of the 1911's 8+1. I stopped carrying the 1911 when I built it up for compitition, mainly because the wife didn't feel comfertable using it. She likes the Glock.

If a ban were to be put back in place, and we were relagated down to 10 rounds ina mag, the .45 will win every time. My Glock is getting to a point that I no longer will carry it either due to the race gun mods I am doing to it for compitition.

I am currently looking for a Glock 21 .45ACP. 13 rounds is enough. I carry the .40 because it's what I have right now, but another .45ACP will be purchased soon.

With semi autos, there is alway a comprimise somewere. Do you go with a smaller caliber and carry more rounds, or do you go with a larger more effective caliber and carry less rounds? I prefer larger caliber, I have seen what a .45 does to a person and swear by them. I have the .40 mostly for compitition were stopping power doesn't matter, but capacity does. That and .40 ammo is cheaper.

If I could only have 1 pistol, it would be a .45.

Back to top Go down
Lonewolf03
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Not trying to get too political here   Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:23 pm

I would state my opinion, but it has already been said by anyone who opposes the bans.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnVii
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Not trying to get too political here   Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:09 am

Lol lonewolf it seems like a lot of people here have the same opinion.

Tuflehundon is there much of a difference recoil wise between the .40 and .45acp? Not because I'm scared of a little recoil but as far as shooting smoothly and getting back on target after each shot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tuflehundon
Mod/Marines
Mod/Marines

PostSubject: Re: Not trying to get too political here   Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:34 am

EnVii wrote:
Lol lonewolf it seems like a lot of people here have the same opinion.

Tuflehundon is there much of a difference recoil wise between the .40 and .45acp? Not because I'm scared of a little recoil but as far as shooting smoothly and getting back on target after each shot.

Really depends on the gun. .45 is a bigger round, but at the same time, the guns are usually at least a little bigger, which adds more weight and lessons recoil. A 1911 seems to have less recoil to me than my Glock 40, but the 1911 weighs a lot more to.

Back to top Go down
EnVii
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Not trying to get too political here   Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:42 am

Gotcha. I have a kind of off topic question but if I get a military I.D. before I turn 21 could I buy a handgun? I should be going to meps tuesday for the air guard.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gramps

PostSubject: Re: Not trying to get too political here   Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:56 pm

Hate to say it but nope, even with a military ID you have to be 21 to buy a handgun, kinda ironic isnt it. THe military will issue you a m16 and maybe a handgun depending on your MOS but you cant buy one.

SYOTOS
Back to top Go down
Tuflehundon
Mod/Marines
Mod/Marines

PostSubject: Re: Not trying to get too political here   Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:27 pm

Gramps wrote:
Hate to say it but nope, even with a military ID you have to be 21 to buy a handgun, kinda ironic isnt it. THe military will issue you a m16 and maybe a handgun depending on your MOS but you cant buy one.

Gramps is right here with the current gun laws. You can own one, but not buy one in most states. I was able to buy one showing my Military ID when I was under 21, but that was a while ago. Just have a family member buy it for you. It is legal for someone to buy it and give it to you as a gift, as long as you are not barred from owning one. Like of you were a felon or whatever. A lot of people mistake that as a straw purchase, but it's not. A straw purchase is when someone knowingly buys a gun for you when they have full knowledge that you could not pass a background check.

Back to top Go down
EnVii
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Not trying to get too political here   Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:25 pm

That's kind of aggravating that I would have decent training with a handgun and wouldn't be able to use one as a civilian. That's really ironic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonewolf03
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Not trying to get too political here   Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:23 pm

Gramps wrote:

Funny how you can operate a tank, an apache helicopter, an m2 heavy machine gun and other fun stuff before you're 21. As my dad says, "I gave my teenagers machine guns. No, the other teenagers."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
syclops
Mod/Triarius/Magfed/ABF Original

PostSubject: Re: Not trying to get too political here   Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:02 am

ii like what former game show host Chuck Whollery has to say:

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mogpaintball.weebly.com
EnVii
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Not trying to get too political here   Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:37 am

that was pretty good. I'm definitely stealing this and putting it on facebook
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Not trying to get too political here   

Back to top Go down

Not trying to get too political here
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next