Alpha Black Paintball
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Getting in shape...

Go down 
+3
RedPanda
syclops
omgtheqbistoast
7 posters
AuthorMessage
omgtheqbistoast
TRIARIUS
TRIARIUS
omgtheqbistoast

Getting in shape... Empty
PostSubject: Getting in shape...   Getting in shape... EmptySun Jun 03, 2012 1:19 am

Okay guys, here's the deal. Aside from my inane posting on here most of you don't know much about me as a person but I'm gonna make it a point to educate a bit about me and at the same time ask for some opinions and options about a topic that is probably near and dear to most of our hearts...

Getting in shape and gearing up for a big game...

I'm planning on going on the big trip next year and hitting up D-Day and I know that in the shape I'm in now I'll NEVER be able to handle it.

What do I mean you ask?

Well let's see, I'm just a shade over 6 feet and I weigh about 280lbs...I'll wait while some of you pick your jaws off the floor because yeah, I know that's not the best for me. I do move pretty well for a bigger guy when I need to but yeah, I know I'm still not in any kind of shape other than round.

I'm looking into some options for getting into shape (and no surgery is not one of them) and I wanted some advice from you guys. My plan right now (and the plan for at least one of my family members as well and maybe more) is to start working out with P90X and start to see about getting myself in better shape gradually through multiple rounds, then later on kick it up a notch as Emeril would say and switch over to doing the Insanity workouts.

First off, do you guys think this is the right way to go about it? And second, any tips/tricks I should know before embarking on this journey or do you guys have another idea for me?

I'd love to hear anything you guys have to say, esp you former and current military types. I've read some of the stuff you guys have to say about eating and keeping hydrated and I definitely plan on following that advice, but I know there might be more to it than that. Feel free to let me know guys.

Thanks,
R
Back to top Go down
syclops
Mod/Triarius/Magfed/ABF Original
syclops

PostSubject: Re: Getting in shape...   Getting in shape... EmptySun Jun 03, 2012 10:33 am

R - I will answer this more thoroughly on Monday when I'm in front of my computer...for me the issue of weight has been a life long battle...every day I have to watch what I eat and activities I'm involved with. I can gain 10 lbs just by watching a Burger King commercial.

Stay tuned!
Back to top Go down
http://www.mogpaintball.weebly.com
syclops
syclops

PostSubject: Re: Getting in shape...   Getting in shape... EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 4:07 pm

R - so as I was saying I have battled with weight my entire life. At one point I was at 230 lbs, which dosnt seem like much, but I am only 5' 10.

Currently I am at 202 lbs...I was at 190 lbs and was feeling AWESOME! That was before my shattered collar bone incident. Now I am working on getting back down to 190 or further. My true goal weight would be 180 lbs.

Here are a few tips that have helped me:

Make sure you are seen by a doctor before beginning any exer ise program...yep that's a common disclaimer!

Exercise:
1) Find an exercise or program or activity you LOVE. For me it is running, biking and lifting!

Do you know how long it has been since I have driven my gas guzzling super bad Bronco to work? 2 years! I have found that I enjoy running or biking to work. I bought myself a US Army Alice pack and put all of my food, and clothing for the day in there and hump it to work. It totally gets a jump start to the day

2) Lifting - I tend to do high reps with low weights...so I'm building up endurance (for paintball) and trimming at the same time. I dont allow alot of rest between sets...I want my heart rate continually high.

3) Find a workout buddy to motivate you....90% of why people fail is because they dont have someone there pushing them and holding them accountable in attaining their goals.

Eating
1) Small meals more frequent keeps the metabolism up.
2) Put away the big plate and use a little plate. The human body dosnt need all we stuff ourselves with.
3) Get a good mix of meat, veg and fruit - I tend to gain weight easily with anything related to the carbo group and breads.
4) Track what you currently eat in a given week (Type of Food, Calories, Fat, Carbs and protein). Then change your diet based upon your current regimen....eat less calories, watch your fat intake, and eat more of the good stuff.

Misc.
1) There are some good apps for android to motivate you. One I would suggest is Cardio trainer...You are able to track all of your outdoor activities or manually input your indoor activities (ie weight training, elliptical training, etc.)

2) Let us know how you are doing! Use this thread to let us know whats working, how your doing, new exercises etc. Make it fun! The guys on here will encourage you! I know I will!

BTW - Since I'm on the "Road to 190" I had a great workout today....rode bike into work (3 miles - 12 minutes), then did 30 minutes on the eliptical trainer before work, then went for a 4-mile run on my lunch break and will ride bike back home! Burned some serious caliroes today!

Let me know if you have any questions.
now...GO FOR IT BROTHER!!!
Back to top Go down
RedPanda
Private
Private
RedPanda

PostSubject: Re: Getting in shape...   Getting in shape... EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 5:03 pm

One thing i found in helping me lose some weight was cutting out or drinking less soda and some adult beverages and also i started biking and doing more physical activities around the home. cause of that i have lost 11lbs so far. From 346lbs to 335, at a hieght of 5'11". and smaller meals and snacking inbetween meals helped me out.
Back to top Go down
syclops
syclops

PostSubject: Re: Getting in shape...   Getting in shape... EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 5:05 pm

Good one Panda! Soda and other sugar drinks are empty calories...water baby...water!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting in shape...   Getting in shape... EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 10:40 pm

have been to dday...nothing that special unless your looking somewhere hot to spend alot of money...lol me and a friend or two will be hitting up living legends this year
Back to top Go down
syclops
syclops

PostSubject: Re: Getting in shape...   Getting in shape... EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 6:38 pm

LL would be alot of fun too!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting in shape...   Getting in shape... EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 10:21 pm

Living Legends is amazing! Can't wait for registration to open!
Back to top Go down
Amphibious Warlord
Private
Private
Amphibious Warlord

PostSubject: Re: Getting in shape...   Getting in shape... EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 12:37 pm

Before I give my opinion, I'll tell you my own story. Growing up, I was always tall and skinny. All year round, up until the day I graduated, I was always involved in a sport of some sort. After graduation I joined the Marine Corps and continued to be physically active.

After I got out of the USMC, I came home, got married, and had kids. I also put on around 100 extra lbs. Finally I decided I needed to get back into shape. I was on my way to being diabetic, and overall, just wasn't healthy. I was always getting bad headaches, and I never felt well rested. Turns out I have sleep apnea. I strongly believe it's from all the weight I put on. I now, have the cpap machine, so I have to wear a mask when I sleep. I've tried to just jump back into the things I always did before, and I've failed miserably. To this day, it's still a battle.

Just getting back into paintball has helped me. Getting out there and running around is great, and it doesn't hurt to have fun while you are doing it, so with that said, play paintball as much as you possibly can.Laughing Like Sy said, do things you enjoy doing.

Anyhow here's my 2 cents. Don't set yourself up for failure. What I mean is don't set unrealistic goals. Start out with something that gets your heart rate up, but isn't too uncomfortable. If you have to start out by walking 30 minutes, so be it. I watched the movie Fat, Sick, and nearly Dead, and became inspired to buy a juicer. Needless to say, my juice fast didn't work. I was doing too much too fast.

I don't know you personally, but I wouldn't start out with p90x right off the bat. I've never done it myself, but I've heard it's pretty fast paced. I've started myself with little things. I quit drinking soda/pop. I also live like a mile from where I work. There's no need for me to drive. These are just small things, but every little bit helps.

I hope this all works out well for you. Sy said it before, and I'll say it again. A support system is key. If you have to, get on here. There's a lot of great people here that will encourage you, maybe even inspire you. Good luck in you journey.

Back to top Go down
syclops
syclops

PostSubject: Re: Getting in shape...   Getting in shape... EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 12:54 pm

Nice warlord! For us guys in the winter climates it is easy to gain 5-7 pounds in the winter. For me its all about maintaining during the holidays.

Typically, twice a year my wife and I have a 40 day fast/prayer time. It cleans the body, mind and spirit. It really helps me focus in on many things including paintball..believe it or not. During these times I do not limit my activities so there are a lot of calories being burned...I would not suggest that anyone else do this unles they know their body well and know their limits. Im currently on the fast...it takes at least a week for the grump factor to go away!
Back to top Go down
EnVii
Private
Private
EnVii

PostSubject: Re: Getting in shape...   Getting in shape... EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 2:59 am

I didn't ready any of the comments which I'm sure everyone here did a pretty good job on it but if you don't do a lot of physical activity don't start off with something like P90x. You'll either quit because it is such a harder workout from starting cold or get hurt from not having your muscles ready.
The biggest thing everyone always says to me if diet. You won't drop weigh and get in shape eating mcdonalds. Eat healthy and if you do go to that fast food joint get something small. It's ok to award yourself with something like that every now again but keep it small and really limit it.
If you don't exercise much start small. Like I said you don't want to hurt yourself in the beginning because you won't want to wait and start all over. Stretch a lot also which will help keep from injury.
I have an app called skimble trainer that is mostly body weight workouts and they have everything timed out and will tell you when and what to do. There are different levels and different workouts that you can choose from so you can change it as you move up. And the best part about it is it's FREE. It may only be a 10 minute workout but you will definitely sweat through it and you can always do multiple rounds per day or keep a log and try to beat your reps per time.

Like I said though the biggest thing is nutrition. And just start small. Rome wasn't built in a day. It doesn't have to be some intense workout starting off. My girlfriends father has really bad knees and can barely walk a block but he started eating better, started walking and got up to over a mile at a time and lost like 10-15 pounds in a month.

I also just saw at the bottom of your post and I'm not military but I'm about to enlist I just have to schedule and pass my PAST test so I can enlist. I've always been in shape, played soccer year round and even I'm trying to lose weight. And I lost a few pounds from eating better eating a little less, and drinking a lot more water. When I played I ate a lot of taco bell , soft drinks, and gatorade. Being at the same weight now as I was then I feel better now because I'm not putting crap in my body. So just eat well and start with simple exercises and you will definitely start feeling better.

Remember you may not be the fastest but you're lapping every one on the couch!
Back to top Go down
kragaxe
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Getting in shape...   Getting in shape... EmptyThu Sep 19, 2013 1:18 pm

R,
I was checking to see how things were going for you since it's been roughly a year since the original post. Anything work particularly well for you?

I'm trying to slim down a bit as well. My goal is 210 by New Years....~35 lbs.

I've cut sodas down to one or two per week...down from 2-3 per day. I started walking a few miles/week, but lately work/travel and family stuff seems to keep me bogged down. My oldest son is in JROTC now, so we'll be walking evenings together. He was lucky enough to inherit my fine figure genes.

Portion control is still an issue for me. I like to cook and I like to eat. Bad combination!

I now have an incentive due to some work locations I'll be traveling to. I don't want to be the slowest one in the Middle East!
Back to top Go down
http://www.kragaxe.com
syclops
syclops

PostSubject: Re: Getting in shape...   Getting in shape... EmptyThu Sep 19, 2013 3:38 pm

Krag...I was up to 207 and now down 20lbs.  I went to a low carb diet...dropped the breads, pastas, sugars and anything processed.  I eat high protein and found it very easy to lose.  I am looking to lose another 7-8 pounds.

I would work out 2-3 times A DAY and still not lose anything...it wasn't until I cut carbs significantly did I lose.
Back to top Go down
Brock
Admin
Admin
Brock

PostSubject: Re: Getting in shape...   Getting in shape... EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 11:08 pm

Speaking of keeping in shape,... have you seen THIS GUY?!?!? hes NUTS!

Back to top Go down
https://alphablack.forumotion.com
syclops
syclops

PostSubject: Re: Getting in shape...   Getting in shape... EmptyWed Apr 30, 2014 1:07 pm

HA!  Yeah Brock...that's me.  Even during the winter I'm running 85% of the time to work.  I submitted an entry to the Map My Run/Under Armour Toughest Mile competition and wouldn't you know it won 3rd place!!  I got myself 5 free entries into a upcoming Tough Mudder, a sizable gift card to the UnderArmour.com and a new pair of Speedform Apollo running shoes.  Pretty sweet!
Back to top Go down
RedPanda
Private
Private
RedPanda

PostSubject: Re: Getting in shape...   Getting in shape... EmptyFri May 09, 2014 11:53 am

WOW,  wish i could run like that, but i like to bike now like i used to.  I still have a long way to go to catch up to what i used to do on my bike when i was younger(30+ miles).  Best so far was 24 miles in about 2:30 hours
Back to top Go down
kragaxe
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Getting in shape...   Getting in shape... EmptyWed May 28, 2014 10:28 pm

I've lost almost 20 lbs now since March and I feel so much better. I still have another 20 to go...and those are the "hard ones". I really haven't been exercising at all other than going hiking once every other week with the family and paintball every other Sunday or so.

I've cut my sugar intake considerably and reduced my overall food quantity in general. I love to cook and I love to eat, and that makes for a bad combo! I was eating waaaaay too much.

I just started doing a bit more exercise and will pick up the pace this month. That will probably shed another 10 lbs. Those last 10 I'm going to have to work hard for!
Back to top Go down
http://www.kragaxe.com
syclops
syclops

PostSubject: Re: Getting in shape...   Getting in shape... EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:05 pm

Nice Kragaxe!  I have officially lost 30 lbs since last June.  I have 10-15 more to go in order to be prepared for Tough Mudder in July and then a 1/2 marathon in August! Feeling and looking good!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting in shape...   Getting in shape... Empty

Back to top Go down

Getting in shape...
Page 1 of 1