Alpha Black Paintball
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
David199619
Spec Ops
Spec Ops
David199619

Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related) Empty
PostSubject: Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related)   Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related) EmptyFri May 25, 2012 1:27 am

Hey guys, I know this is a paintball website but I think you guys can figure this out.

Since I know nothing about cars, I don't know what this thing is called, how to install it, etc etc.

Have you guys ever heard of the thing that you press a button (or switch a switch or something), and it shuts off the battery (Or something else needed to start the car) completely, so that when someone tries to start it, it doesn't start? Then when you want to start it, you just hit the button/switch/whatever, then start it normally?

I've heard of it, and I want it as an extra security for when I get my car.

Too many suspicious people where I live. Don't trust them.

SO I was wondering, does anybody know what this is called so I can get it installed?

For some reason someone told me once that it was called a "Taco Switch" but that sounds ridiculous. It's probably something like a "Kill switch" or something.

And the button/switch or whatever has to be hidden on the interior of the car.

Thanks Very Happy

And I'm trying to find out EVERYTHING i want for my car before I even get it, although I'm not that far from getting it.
Back to top Go down
http://myalphablack.weebly.com/index.html

PostSubject: Re: Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related)   Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related) EmptyFri May 25, 2012 1:57 am

Get a good alarm, I know this system you are talking about, but is common to hide it under the seat or behind the steering wheel, a good alarm if you best option, I got a Viper on my car, 1) if I leave the windows down after activate the alarm they will close automatically. 2) When ever I open the car with no keys (by letting the windows down) if I do not put the keys within the first 5 sec the alarm will start, and last but not least, 3) mine doesn't have but there are complex one with GPS and good and decent price, is way better invest on a good alarm than loose your car.

Edit: by the way, some alarms comes with a magnetic switch installed on your steering wheels, if they make to open your car, brake the switch with any tool and run the car, after 20 sec if the magnetic switch has been not activated or better said, dis activated the car will shutdown automatically, all all about your budget but hey! as I said, lot cheap than loose your car.
Back to top Go down
David199619
Spec Ops
Spec Ops
David199619

PostSubject: Re: Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related)   Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related) EmptyFri May 25, 2012 2:06 am

oipunx wrote:
Get a good alarm, I know this system you are talking about, but is common to hide it under the seat or behind the steering wheel, a good alarm if you best option, I got a Viper on my car, 1) if I leave the windows down after activate the alarm they will close automatically. 2) When ever I open the car with no keys (by letting the windows down) if I do not put the keys within the first 5 sec the alarm will start, and last but not least, 3) mine doesn't have but there are complex one with GPS and good and decent price, is way better invest on a good alarm than loose your car.

Edit: by the way, some alarms comes with a magnetic switch installed on your steering wheels, if they make to open your car, brake the switch with any tool and run the car, after 20 sec if the magnetic switch has been not activated or better said, dis activated the car will shutdown automatically, all all about your budget but hey! as I said, lot cheap than loose your car.

Alright thanks for the info, I will have to look into all of that and prices, etc etc. I want to make my car as un-stealable as possible. I don't want to take any chances. And your security also sounds great, how much did that cost?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related)   Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related) EmptyFri May 25, 2012 2:43 am

David199619 wrote:
oipunx wrote:

Alright thanks for the info, I will have to look into all of that and prices, etc etc. I want to make my car as un-stealable as possible. I don't want to take any chances. And your security also sounds great, how much did that cost?

Nothing really I got it from a friend who own me good favors, actually most cars (this days) has anti-theft, pretty much in the key (the black block/upper part) has a sensor and the key has a name/code ( you can add/remove keys with a car's computer ) if you car doesn't recognize the key it won't start up, but you know, as much the technology advance the thieves too, so better don't take a risk, and also the "steal-able" depends on the car, some car are very easy and some others are way hard to steal.
Back to top Go down
David199619
Spec Ops
Spec Ops
David199619

PostSubject: Re: Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related)   Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related) EmptyFri May 25, 2012 4:32 am

oipunx wrote:
David199619 wrote:
oipunx wrote:

Nothing really I got it from a friend who own me good favors, actually most cars (this days) has anti-theft, pretty much in the key (the black block/upper part) has a sensor and the key has a name/code ( you can add/remove keys with a car's computer ) if you car doesn't recognize the key it won't start up, but you know, as much the technology advance the thieves too, so better don't take a risk, and also the "steal-able" depends on the car, some car are very easy and some others are way hard to steal.

Well that's true but I feel like a 1995-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse is very easy to steal haha. And it doesn't have that key thing (I bet).
Back to top Go down
Tuflehundon
Mod/Marines
Mod/Marines
Tuflehundon

PostSubject: Re: Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related)   Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related) EmptyFri May 25, 2012 8:33 am

It's called a kill switch. They are pretty popular out in California. Stinger made some good ones.
Back to top Go down
http://teamdevilops.weebly.com/

PostSubject: Re: Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related)   Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related) EmptyFri May 25, 2012 8:45 am

I have to interject on this one. any for of aftermarket alarm is the devil, pure and simple. the number of hours i spent when i worked for the dealer undoing the damage done from alarms was mind boggleing. ive seen them fry engine control modules, body control modules and wreak havoc on the cars data communication lines. if you really want an alarm buy something that came from the factory with one.
Back to top Go down
David199619
Spec Ops
Spec Ops
David199619

PostSubject: Re: Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related)   Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related) EmptyFri May 25, 2012 9:40 am

SuRrEaLNJ wrote:
I have to interject on this one. any for of aftermarket alarm is the devil, pure and simple. the number of hours i spent when i worked for the dealer undoing the damage done from alarms was mind boggleing. ive seen them fry engine control modules, body control modules and wreak havoc on the cars data communication lines. if you really want an alarm buy something that came from the factory with one.

Wth??? How often did those problems happen?
Back to top Go down
StormShadowz
Black Ops
Black Ops

PostSubject: Re: Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related)   Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related) EmptyFri May 25, 2012 9:44 am

No switch in the world is gonna prevent a thief from breaking into your car..if they want in they will get in...it is what it is....1995 and up eclipses come with a factory alarm system anyways..which is basically kills the starter and fuel pump when tampered with (which makes it unstealable )..and of course its a noise maker....which is good enough ...no need for the extra crap ....now if dude drives up with a flat bed trucks and tries to steal...i don't know what to tell you there lol

bottom line....factory system is good enough....if you live in a shady neighborhood expect broken glass and messed up locks......that's why you have car insurance :)
Back to top Go down
Tuflehundon
Mod/Marines
Mod/Marines
Tuflehundon

PostSubject: Re: Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related)   Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related) EmptyFri May 25, 2012 10:33 am

The main thing to do is make the car next to you more inviting. Meaning lock your doors and get an alarm. I had an LED light installed in my Jeep when I lived in California. Tons of car alarms had LED lights to let you know they were armed, many still do. The LED light I had made them think I had an expensive alarm, but it was just a blinking light. Many times, my car was passed over in the smash and grabs in the parking lots. The Marine Corps stickers help to.

Most criminals look for easy targets. The ones that are looking for a specific type of car, they will get your car no matter what.
Back to top Go down
http://teamdevilops.weebly.com/
StormShadowz
Black Ops
Black Ops

PostSubject: Re: Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related)   Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related) EmptyFri May 25, 2012 10:46 am

A factory alarmed should have a blinking security light on the dash
Back to top Go down
David199619
Spec Ops
Spec Ops
David199619

PostSubject: Re: Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related)   Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related) EmptyFri May 25, 2012 9:55 pm

Okay, and storm I know if they want it they will get it, just hoping a well hid kill switch will deter them, or delay them.

And I think I know what I'll do now, thanks for the info everyone Very Happy
Back to top Go down
StormShadowz
Black Ops
Black Ops

PostSubject: Re: Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related)   Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related) EmptyFri May 25, 2012 10:12 pm

David199619 wrote:
Okay, and storm I know if they want it they will get it, just hoping a well hid kill switch will deter them, or delay them.

And I think I know what I'll do now, thanks for the info everyone Very Happy

StormShadowz wrote:
1995 and up eclipses come with a factory alarm system anyways..which is basically kills the starter and fuel pump when tampered with (which makes it unstealable )..and of course its a noise maker....which is good enough
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related)   Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related) EmptyFri May 25, 2012 10:47 pm

David199619 wrote:

in my experience quite often. thing is they always work from the start, but most "profesional" alarm places have an underpaid butcher who probably "installs the sickes systems" but has no real concept of electrical principles. further more the fact that most systems have to be spliced or "scotch locked" (those things are for hacks) into the car, theres no definate way to do it, guys do what they want and no 2 people will wire it the same. fast forward a few years and you have a problem with the car and no one but the guy who did it, if that, knows why its wired the way it was

This is the alarm i pulled out of my 91 When i bought it...
Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related) 2780005470064655139S600x600Q85

this bit of handywork was in a saturn vue, caused the bcm to fry, think it was like 2-3 grand of damage...

Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related) 386570_2911260422585_1292876913_33451432_1739264559_n

dont get me wrong, there are people that know what theyre doing with this stuff, just the majority do not.

Back to top Go down
David199619
Spec Ops
Spec Ops
David199619

PostSubject: Re: Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related)   Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related) EmptyFri May 25, 2012 10:55 pm

SuRrEaLNJ wrote:
David199619 wrote:

in my experience quite often. thing is they always work from the start, but most "profesional" alarm places have an underpaid butcher who probably "installs the sickes systems" but has no real concept of electrical principles. further more the fact that most systems have to be spliced or "scotch locked" (those things are for hacks) into the car, theres no definate way to do it, guys do what they want and no 2 people will wire it the same. fast forward a few years and you have a problem with the car and no one but the guy who did it, if that, knows why its wired the way it was

This is the alarm i pulled out of my 91 When i bought it...
Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related) 2780005470064655139S600x600Q85

this bit of handywork was in a saturn vue, caused the bcm to fry, think it was like 2-3 grand of damage...

Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related) 386570_2911260422585_1292876913_33451432_1739264559_n

dont get me wrong, there are people that know what theyre doing with this stuff, just the majority do not.

WTF!!!! That looks extremely dangerous!!

Last edited by David199619 on Sat May 26, 2012 3:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DUNK-ALMIGHTY
Triarius/Salvo Operator
Triarius/Salvo Operator
DUNK-ALMIGHTY

PostSubject: Re: Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related)   Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related) EmptySat May 26, 2012 3:36 am

Thats alot of alarm & wire. affraid affraid

And they're called "imobilisers" David, cos it renders your car imobile.
But yeah most alarms cut the engine n that nowadays anyway. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
David199619
Spec Ops
Spec Ops
David199619

PostSubject: Re: Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related)   Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related) EmptySat May 26, 2012 3:59 am

DUNK-ALMIGHTY wrote:
Thats alot of alarm & wire. affraid affraid

And they're called "imobilisers" David, cos it renders your car imobile.
But yeah most alarms cut the engine n that nowadays anyway. Very Happy

Dang that sucks! I just want some added security, know what I mean?...
Back to top Go down
DUNK-ALMIGHTY
Triarius/Salvo Operator
Triarius/Salvo Operator
DUNK-ALMIGHTY

PostSubject: Re: Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related)   Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related) EmptySat May 26, 2012 4:05 am

Get a rottweiler & leave him on your back seat...lol

Or get one of these bad boys. Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related) 3696926579 Very Happy

Back to top Go down
David199619
Spec Ops
Spec Ops
David199619

PostSubject: Re: Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related)   Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related) EmptySat May 26, 2012 4:07 am

DUNK-ALMIGHTY wrote:
Get a rottweiler & leave him on your back seat...lol

Or get one of these bad boys. Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related) 3696926579 Very Happy

Lmfao, that would be frickin' insane...
Back to top Go down
StormShadowz
Black Ops
Black Ops

PostSubject: Re: Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related)   Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related) EmptySat May 26, 2012 9:44 am

LOL Robocop 2
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related)   Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related) EmptySat May 26, 2012 1:45 pm

I was going to install a kill switch on my old integra but then I sold the car anyways.

What was popular back then was to just have a switch that interrupts the power line to the fuel pump. You hide the switch somewhere and the car won't be able to turn on without someone knowing where the switch is.

Of course, you could do like I did with my RX-7 and blow the motor and stick it in your moms garage. Not going anywhere Sad
Back to top Go down
David199619
Spec Ops
Spec Ops
David199619

PostSubject: Re: Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related)   Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related) EmptySat May 26, 2012 11:33 pm

BIZL wrote:
I was going to install a kill switch on my old integra but then I sold the car anyways.

What was popular back then was to just have a switch that interrupts the power line to the fuel pump. You hide the switch somewhere and the car won't be able to turn on without someone knowing where the switch is.

Of course, you could do like I did with my RX-7 and blow the motor and stick it in your moms garage. Not going anywhere Sad

Ouch that sucks, how did you blow the motor?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related)   Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related) EmptySun May 27, 2012 11:56 pm

Oh nothing really... it's just an rx7 and it's 25 years old :) rx7s tend to explode every so often but they are pretty.

Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related) IMG_2333

Back to top Go down
David199619
Spec Ops
Spec Ops
David199619

PostSubject: Re: Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related)   Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related) EmptySun May 27, 2012 11:59 pm

BIZL wrote:
Oh nothing really... it's just an rx7 and it's 25 years old :) rx7s tend to explode every so often.

Oh that explains it...:|
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related)   Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related) Empty

Back to top Go down

Hmm, what's this called? (Auto related)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Alpha Black Paintball :: Behind The Lines :: Scuttlebutt-
Jump to: